Author Topic: 427 Cast Iron Headers - 63 Galaxie  (Read 4088 times)

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
427 Cast Iron Headers - 63 Galaxie
« on: December 06, 2015, 08:55:51 PM »
I am doing an engine update on my 63 Galaxie over winter and will be installing the 427 cast iron headers with the engine swap.  The car is currently a Z code 390 with a T10 BW 4 Speed and Power Steering.

Questions on cast iron header installation......

1.  I am aware the 427 cars had a different Clutch Equalizer Cross Shaft (often called a Z Bracket) and the rod from the Clutch Fork to the Clutch Equalizer Cross Shaft.  Are these 2 parts an absolute requirement to be changed out from the 390 to the 427 parts?  Could the 390 parts be modified to fit? I see the 427parts can be purchased but are about double the price.

2.  Are there any known issues with interference between the headers and power steering linkage or hoses?

3.  Any good source for a H exhaust pipe for the headers or have one made up?
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

tomsfe64

• View Profile
Re: 427 Cast Iron Headers - 63 Galaxie
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 09:25:11 AM »
I have a 390 zbar in my 64 galaxie with the iron headers and there is no problem. I had another 64 with iron headers and the power steering clearance was fine.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »
Waldron's exhaust: http://waldronexhaust.com will have the H-pipe.  Make sure you specify that you have the long vs. short headers. 

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

hvywrench

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:11:51 PM »
Just a note on Waldron's: I had them make up my H pipe for a 427 with long tubes in a '64 and he does it to the factory specs, meaning that the passenger side is just a tad shorter to allow for the heat riser that was stock from the factory. I just made up a steel spacer to take up the gap and it is working fine.
My understanding is that even the R code Galaxies came with 2" exhaust with no options for larger. I asked him to make mine in a larger diameter and it worked just fine, cleared the park brake linkage/cables. Mine is 2-1/4 because anything larger and he would not guarantee it would fit the factory hangers, etc. I don't know how hard it would be to get a bigger diameter to work.
If you give them a call I'm sure they will answer questions and work with you.

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:31:23 PM »
Good information...., thanks to all for the feedback.

I will just wait and see how the clutch linkage and power steering fit up with these headers and address if there is problems.  If it they work on a 64 it should be fine on a 63 as well.

I did take a rough measurement of my exhaust pipes, they come in right about 2.5" on a caliper.  It was not on stands so I could not get a real good look at it tonight.  The exhaust on it now has Flowmaster mufflers in front of the axle so it is not what I would term a stock system.  I had noticed the brake cables have always been real close to the pipes and they do touch when the emergency brake is on.  The exhaust was on the car when I bought it so I'm not really sure who the manufacturer is. 
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain