Author Topic: Been a busy year.............  (Read 7805 times)

afret

Been a busy year.............
« on: December 01, 2015, 06:34:17 PM »
moving from SoCal to North Idaho.  Bought some land about a mile from my brother's place and had a house built.  We had three of the old cars in the shop at Acton so I had them transported up to Idaho.  The red Mustang wouldn't quite fit on the trailer so I had it moved separately and just had the guy stick my niece's Honda on there:

I met the driver in Idaho and was able to fit the four Fords into the garage before I moved in but with all my other junk, it ended up getting really packed after moving up there with all my junk even with a bunch of stuff at my brother's place.

Decided to get another garage/shop made for more room which finally got done except for the concrete pad in front of the door.  My brother just got his shop done too so he took his Fairlane but left the Torino so I ended up with the Torino and Shelby clone in the shop.  Even ended up getting a tractor to help with moving all the logs around.  Got lots of room in my garage now.  :)

I even drove the red car a few miles on a gravel road last summer to the police office at the nearby town to get some paperwork done so I could get the car registered in Idaho.  It was a pain getting it out of the garage with all the junk in there at the time.  Now that I can get it out easily so I can drive it around, the snow arrived too soon so got to wait for spring.  LOL

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Been a busy year.............
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 06:41:01 PM »
Congrats on the move.
Sure wish I had that kind of room here in SoCal.
Good for you. :)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 07:04:26 PM »
I would have strained my neck passing those cars on the hauler, then probably broke it doing a double take seeing that Honda. Talk about just a LITTLE out of place ;D

I can't imagine anyone wanting to move from warm weather climates to coooold, but I'm sure it had to be a good one. One thing's for sure, you'll get your moneys worth from that Kubota moving snow! From what I can see in the pictures, the scenery around the house looks really nice! Looks like a really nice set-up with the garages also. Congrats on a safe move.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 07:40:10 PM »
Pretty country!  Take it from me, I'm sure you'll really enjoy the extra room. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

afret

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 09:07:24 PM »
Thanks guys.  It is colder up here but a lot prettier.  It's kinda insane how many trees there are.  I'm getting pretty good at cutting them down.  I wanted to clear out about 2-3 acres of the undergrowth around the house and that took quite a while.  The whole 10+ acres looked like this:

Got it to look pretty much like this for about 150' or so around the house:

Ended up with a couple of huge brush piles that we had to burn.  That was an experience.  LOL

There are sure a lot of deer and turkeys here.  It's a rare day that I don't see them in my yard.  I'm pretty scared of these guys though.  Thankfully they don't come around too often:

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:59 PM »
Beautiful place Earl.  You'll get lots done in the winter months, assuming your garage has heat!  Say hi to Bullwinkle for me...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »
Yup the chain saw becomes your best bubby.
I consider Spruce weeds. lol
Must have bears close by also. Those are the guys you always give a wide berth too.

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »
Good to hear you're getting settled in Afret.. Looks like a great spot.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 10:24:40 PM »
Congrats on a good move. The garages are nice, will they be toasty warm this winter?

Was it much of a culture shock moving from SoCal?
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

afret

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 11:07:34 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I don't think I want to get close enough to Bulllwinkle to say Hi.  LOL  The garages don't have any heaters set up yet but I had them wire the garages up so I can bolt up a big heater on the ceiling.  They are insulated pretty well so the temp doesn't seem to go below the 40s so far.

Yeah, getting pretty used to working with the chainsaw.  I don't think you can make it up here without one or two.

Hey Dale P, finally met Thor when he came up to visit with Tommy T and Mrs. T.  They are all very cool people.  Thor still needs to come by and pick up a bunch of firewood.  Got so much firewood I don't know what to do with it.

It was great getting out of SoCal.  I like it much better up here.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 03:00:41 AM »
Looks like were i live in nrtern
Sweden mooses and all

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 03:26:09 AM »
Are you sure those turkeys aren't really.....mullet wearing Camaro drivers? LOL  ;)

Nice garage!
Bob Maag

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »
It was great to get up to God's Country to see y'all. After living in SoCal for so long, it is no stretch to say I want to get the heck out'a here as well.

It was really nice to see that Kay seems to be doing well.

Has Thor been back to see you? When you offered seat time to him in your stocker...I thought he was going to fall over. He was very gracious in giving us the tour of his digs as well.

Your new place is great. All of my junk would easily fit in an attached garage that big, and then I could spend the rest of my life trying to fill the other garage.

Don't be surprised if Mrs.-T and I show up in your neck of the woods (literally), with all our junk...and stay.

Sighting a new rifle off the front porch sounds like fun!

afret

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 07:21:26 PM »
It was great to get up to God's Country to see y'all. After living in SoCal for so long, it is no stretch to say I want to get the heck out'a here as well.

It was really nice to see that Kay seems to be doing well.

Has Thor been back to see you? When you offered seat time to him in your stocker...I thought he was going to fall over. He was very gracious in giving us the tour of his digs as well.

Your new place is great. All of my junk would easily fit in an attached garage that big, and then I could spend the rest of my life trying to fill the other garage.

Don't be surprised if Mrs.-T and I show up in your neck of the woods (literally), with all our junk...and stay.

Sighting a new rifle off the front porch sounds like fun!

Hi Tommy-T!  It was great that you and Mrs-T were able to drop by.  Too bad you missed the warm weather by a few days.  You folks should consider moving up to this area.  A little bit of snow won't hurt you.  LOL

Just had an email from Thor today.  He's supposed to come pick up some firewood tomorrow.  Hopefully he can take a bunch with him. 

Got to start messing with cars again.  I guess I better do some work on the stocker soon since it seems like Thor wants to try it out. 

Hope you get out of SoCal soon.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 02:39:15 AM »
S oAFRET,  now that you are in NHRA Div.6 any chance that we will be seeing your white Mustang Stocker at Missions LODRS race next spring?  I like going to So. Cal now and then on holidays, but with all the yuppies, tree huggers, and political correctness, I doubt that I could live there for long. Hell, between the gridlock traffic, sky high taxes, fees, and fuel prices, the anti car, tree hugger politicans, hipsters and outragous house prices, Greater Vancouver BC is getting to be a better place to be FROM, rather than LIVE in. A more rural retirement lifestyle sure looks tempting!
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH