Author Topic: oil pans  (Read 10338 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
oil pans
« on: November 29, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »
does anyone make a full sump rear sump oil pan, i have a couple of the truck pans and remember at one time seeing someone here had some tips on modifying them with trap doors and sump traps and such, id be open for that but im wondering though why none of the pan manufacturers make a full sump pan, i know some of the custom builders do and billet fabrications pans are some of the nicest i have seen but quite expensive. what pan do you guys recommend for all out drag racing, hard leaving clutch car.
also the high volume pump that precision has, any reason to add the high pressure spring and disk or leave it as is ? maybe pull the plug, thread it, make it adjustable ? all old school stuff i guess,
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

427Fastback

• View Profile
Re: oil pans
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 03:17:48 PM »
I had Canton custom make my pan as there was nothing available at the time.It is a mixture of off the shelf canton parts.It is a road car and I am not a fan of deep sump pans so it is a T-sump pan built backwards..Has all the gates and doors in it.The engine will sit back down in its stock location
Canton now markets a slightly different version of it.

1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »
i been told to look at marine pans for full sump, i have yet to see a full sump marine pan and no one seems to be able to point me in a direction, only say that's what i should look into.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 05:10:54 PM »
The major reason nobody makes full sump pans is because there are no cars that will accept them. Everything Ford makes has to have the front sump. There are LOTS of drag racers pulling big wheelies in fast cars that make them work, so no reason yours cant provided it's designed right.

I just bought a Milodon front sump pan at the Columbus swap. It's not a deep pan, but extended out on the sides to hold either 7 or 8 quarts. It's very nicely designed with 3 trap doors and extended baffling to keep the oil up front where it belongs. It was ran on an original R code Fairlane that runs in Super Stock.

Edit to add that I am not a fan of the pans pictured above. That front sump area does absolutely no good for the engine. It will simply "grab" 2 quarts of oil that will remain there until it's drained. That oil may as well not even be in there. Not trying to offend anyone, but Ford did this for some years on their small blocks, and that area always got sludged up because the oil never got used, never got heated from use and was just along for the 3000 mile ride until the next oil change. If some sort of line were fabbed to connect to the rear sump, that would at least give it a usable function.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:40:52 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »
I'm not a fan of the split pan for the same reason, may as well just be a deep front sump although I do understand that fitments and appalcation makes the determination.. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
That front mini-sump is only there for oil pump mounting.  I agree 100% with the parked oil comment - I can see it on the dyno when you only run the recommended amount of oil - they run out and drop pressure at the top of every pull.  You need to run an extra quart or two.  And they always seem 10HP down on power compared to anything else similar - I think it's because of how close the center comes to the crank.

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 11:13:44 PM »
As far as my pan goes there isn't much I can do.Its the only thing that will work in my chassis set up..I'm not a huge fan of it and still have some sort of transfer/balance tube brewing in the back of my mind..As a corner carver I don't expect the oil to go stale in there..
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 12:01:35 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of it and still have some sort of transfer/balance tube brewing in the back of my mind.

That's a great idea. If you got a couple weld bungs and did one or two AN lines for easy removal angled from front sump to bottom rear, all oil would get circulated and if things got severe enough you were starting to suck the sump dry, you would be able to pull from the front also. Well, not so much pull from it, but gravity/g-force would be on your side.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 12:36:47 AM »
The supplys and skill I have...just need to get them past the crossmember ...
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

newfalconowner

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »
I made my own sump pan for my Falcon, 390 MII front end.. I put a ramp in the front under the oil pump so oil flows to the rear sump.. Its crude but copied measurements off the canton truck pan and used their pickup tube.

https://www.facebook.com/rick.weatherill.5/media_set?set=a.10156215926410109.1073741836.538840108&type=3

57 lima bean

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 07:44:24 AM »
"I just bought a Milodon front sump pan at the Columbus swap. It's not a deep pan, but extended out on the sides to hold either 7 or 8 quarts. It's very nicely designed with 3 trap doors and extended baffling to keep the oil up front where it belongs. It was ran on an original R code Fairlane that runs in Super Stock".    Would it happen to be Skip Norman?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 09:45:04 AM »
"I just bought a Milodon front sump pan at the Columbus swap. It's not a deep pan, but extended out on the sides to hold either 7 or 8 quarts. It's very nicely designed with 3 trap doors and extended baffling to keep the oil up front where it belongs. It was ran on an original R code Fairlane that runs in Super Stock".    Would it happen to be Skip Norman?

It was an older lady by the name of Pat. I forget their last name, but her and her husband owned and operated a performance machine shop located in Maryland. VERY nice lady that knew her stuff. She also happened to be the driver, which I thought was very cool.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 10:10:09 AM »
Falconnewcomer, could you post that picture here?  I tried the link and it doesn't work, maybe because I don't have a Facebook account.  I've got the same pan on my 64 Comet/MII front end.  Thanks, Dan

newfalconowner

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »

FERoadster

• View Profile
Full sump oil pan
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »
Part of your question was a full sump pan. Not to many cars this would fit into.
This is from a large truck FE. My plan is to use it in a car with a dropped I-beam axle no cross member in the way, the engine has a pretty good setback.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:52:20 PM by FERoadster »