Author Topic: Cam thrust plate.  (Read 6459 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Cam thrust plate.
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:36:25 PM »
Is it worth replacing this cam thrust plate with thrust rollers ?  (Spider cracks around bolt holes)  . Or just replace with one of the bronze  thrust plates ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Cam thrust plate.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 05:30:18 AM »
Either would work. But, I'd investigate why the plate is cracked. Odd, indeed. Was the rear cam plug installed backwards? May pay to re-assemble the cam and plate to see how well the cam turns. Maybe the pic but note what seems to be heavy wear on the lower edge. How does the cam's nose look? How about the steel cam tunnel plug at the other end?
Bob Maag

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:06:09 AM »
Cam plug was installed correctly,  cam turned nice and free and smooth with front thrust plate and bearing and cam gear installed. I to thought maybe the lifter failure contributed to the cracking as it's around both bolt holes. Also this is a very early roller thrust plate set up that has alot of use and looking at it it seems to me the  retainer bolt holes seem to be recessed quite alot making the bolt seat pretty thin.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 05:44:49 PM »
Being a roller plate too and aftermarket it is probably hardened to the bejesus. Around the bolt holes is probably an area that should have been 'let back' a little more.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
I would not use it - broken parts will eventually bite you hard.

As noted - that was probably defective from the beginning - too hard for the purpose.  A Torrington bearing should rely on a thrust washer on each side as a race.  That way the plate could remain "soft".

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 08:12:03 PM »
That's a great point. This one is a very early one and maybe should have been left a little soft because it does use thrust washers on both sides of the bearing. The cam bearing and washers and the gear side bearing and washers appear to be in good condition.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 09:59:21 PM »
With a roller cam the only load on the thrust is from the oil pump drive gear.  It should never have cracked like that.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »
Barry,  and others,
Since my roll master cam gear has already been cut for the bearing on the gear side and both thrust bearings and sets of washers are in good shape, do you think it would be ok for me to duplicate this part using a good  quality piece of mild steal plate or even stainless?  I could easy make this part if you think a non hardened piece would hold up. It the stock piece was just a bit thicker then obviously modifying it would be the ideal choice.
Otherwise I'll just shelf it and use one of the bronze plates instead.
Just curious. .
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »
If I were going to make one I wouldn't use mild steel. I would use some form of tool steel, gauge plate or alike.

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 08:10:24 PM »
You can buy just the cam retainer kit (with bearings). I would call Doug at Precision oil pumps and see if maybe he has just the plate by itself available, if not... just buy the kit. They are designed for the Rollmaster timing set. He has them available with that as a kit as well, just a lot more money and there is probably nothing wrong with your gears and chain.

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/fe-ford-torrington-needle-bearing-cam-retainer-plate-kit/

68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 10:30:17 PM »
Yeah, I'd only need the plate. Everything else is just fine.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 02:31:47 AM »
I would not use that plate with the cracks. Personally, I have never used anything other than a stock Ford thrust plate, and in almost 40 years of racing FEs, I have never had any issues with them.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 09:30:35 AM »
I have no intentions in useing it. 
Make a good pattern  though..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.