Author Topic: Gas Ronda inducted to the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame  (Read 2277 times)

BruceS

• View Profile
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/10/16/international-drag-racing-hall-of-fame-announces-2016-inductees/?refer=news

Another Ford legend recognized!  Also a couple of pictures of his altered Mustang, probably from '65-'66 time period. 

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Gas Ronda inducted to the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »
Great to see pics of that altered cammer powered Mustang; that would be a great car to build some day.  And I always wondered who Marvin Miller was, because I got a nitrous setup from him in the early days of nitrous, back around 1982 or so.  The book "Super Power" had just come out, and in the Nitrous section they talked about the individual port injection systems that Miller made.  I sent him my 3X2 intake back then, and he installed an individual port nitrous system on it.  It wasn't anywhere near the claimed power level, because the nitrous solenoids he used were really small and limited the flow.  Also, apparently he didn't know much about FEs, because he ran some of the hard steel lines right under the pushrod holes in the manifold!  I had to rebend some of them, and eventually upgraded the solenoids as well with parts from NOS, before that system really worked.  Nevertheless, it was totally hidden under the manifold and pretty cool, back in the day...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BruceS

• View Profile
Re: Gas Ronda inducted to the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »
Jay and all,
There's more info on the altered Mustangs from the book "Holman-Moody, the Ledgendary Race Team, by Tom Cotter".  I've read the book but loaned it to a friend so I don't have it in my possession right now.  I remember the book discussing those builds; the fiberglass bodies, front suspension design, etc.  That car must've been Ford's answer to Mercury's flip-top Comets at least for a while.

Yes, it was interesting to hear about Marvin Miller of Warren-Coburn-Miller AA/FD fame.  That team really terrorized the S. California drag race scene in the 60s.  I remember seeing them run at Lions.  Wonder what tricks Miller had up his sleeve to make a top fuel engine win and live at the same time?  Reckon he used any nitrous?
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic