Author Topic: inner springs  (Read 3326 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
inner springs
« on: October 16, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »
So as most know broke motor in last week and was able to get over there today to put inner springs in  got finished and put rockers on and torqued. went to turn motor over to adjust valves and put valve covers on but couldnt turn motor over. Rockerarms went on normal. Take rockers off and motor spins put rockers on pass side and motor dont spin take off and put drivers side on and wont spin. So tommorrow will be taking inner springs back out, I did notice a hairline crack in a rocker Im assuming because off this problem. used old time spring screw compressor and wasnt to bad putting them in, but obvoisly its the only thing I changed because breakin went good and was running well. maybe pring isnt sitting right but I would think it would have been a real pain in the ass to get keepers back in  HELP   

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: inner springs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »
My guess is that your inner springs are not right for the lift and /or spring retainer you are using.  They're most likely compressing solid (coil bind).

Also, if you see a hairline crack in a rocker, it WILL fall in half very soon!  I would check the others too.

Do a full mockup on just one cylinder (all other pushrods removed) with just an inner spring to check for coil bind.  Then check it again with the inner and outer installed.  It's best to shim the springs so that they are about 0.050" from coil bind at full lift.

These inner and outer springs came as a matched set, right?  If not you will have problems.  You really can't mix and match inner and outer springs.  The fit is important and obviously the should have matching travel to coil bind.  The retainer needs to also match the spring combo.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 09:23:33 PM »
Thats what I will be trying tommorow I bought everything as a set from a reputable engine guy on forum. The only thing I different was putting inner springs in but that is what I will be looking for is if the spring sits in the retainer cup properly although like I said before they went in pretty normal  was trying to think if maybe a couple were alittle tougher than others none that stick out

plovett

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »

These inner and outer springs came as a matched set, right?  If not you will have problems.  You really can't mix and match inner and outer springs. 

That was my first thought, as well.  Are you sure that the inner springs are a correct match for the outer springs?  It is also possible the manufacturer put the wrong inner springs in, if you ordered them together.

JMO,

paulie

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »
Came as a kit will be checking in the morning and will find out for sure Pauline, I just home nothing else is damaged

plovett

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »
Came as a kit will be checking in the morning and will find out for sure Pauline, I just home nothing else is damaged

I've been called a lot worse things than Pauline.   ;)   I hope everything works out okay with minimal trouble.

I feel there has to be something pretty obvious, after you look over everything. 

JMO,

paulie

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »
Ok guys so I went to car this morning and good news and bad news or maybe a godsend took the springs off cylinder with cracked rocker arm and install inner springs and check for coil bind good.Install shaft and turn motor over good, put two more pushrods in next cylinder and turn motor over good. Put the other two cylinder pushrods in and turn motor over which already was more than I had yesterday, do the same thing to the passenger side and engine spins so I figure I will adjust the valves cold which is what started all this the other day, so I tell my dad to turn motor over and he can't because his back hurts so I go over and turn motor over and then realize a couple of days ago his back was worse and I know that he is strong enough to turn a motor over so when I reached over and tried to turn the motor over with one hand and half assed  and couldn't turn it Didn't want to force anything. So I finished adjusting the valves with me spinning motor over and had a good laugh with dad. Now in his defense the motor is a little hard to turn over being that the plugs are out. But definetly not binding up, the only thing bothering me is the rocker did I get lucky finding the rocker because my dads back was out or was there really a problem that I missed and inadvertanly fix
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:39:57 PM by Stangman »