Author Topic: Here is what happens when an upper control arm and a shock breaks in A Chevelle  (Read 2417 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
My buddies 580-ish hp iron head solid roller 440 inch Rat, 5.13 gears, Super T10.

Lost a bolt in the RH upper control arm, said he did a nut and bolt check, musta missed one :)  When the rear torqued it pulled a shock apart and one spring jumped off it's seat. 

Sounds odd to say this, but licky the fenders kept the rear under the car.

Make it as big as you can see it, and watch the rear go way up and down.  FYI, this car squats hard normally during a launch and normally 60s in the 1.52-1.55 range, this run was a 1.75 and then he got out of it.

http://vid528.photobucket.com/albums/dd329/My427stang/IMG_0539_zpst1xztll6.mp4
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Garyford

• View Profile
Sorry to see that happen to your friend.  It sounds like he was on it a lot farther than the 60' mark.   How bad was the damage?

My427stang

• View Profile
2 broken shocks, a few bent bolts and some scuffed up slicks, he got very lucky.

He was off and on the throttle, but the game plan for the night was to try to dial in the best 60 foot, so it was a 3500 rpm launch and shift light was coming on at 6 grand, so he wasn't in it too hard.  We took it apart today, every bolt in the rear was loose.  Lucky it wasn't much worse.

He said he thought it was spinning let off and jumped on it again and it was steering from the rear...LOL no doubt!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch