Author Topic: C6 high speed governor test results and pictures  (Read 2993 times)

rcodecj

• View Profile
C6 high speed governor test results and pictures
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »
I found a problem with the length of the high speed governor weight that I used. I believe that the .290 length weight I used is a bit too long and interferes with the piston moving inward all the way so I am removing the info in the post so no one is confused. Sorry for any inconvenience.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:05:04 PM by rcodecj »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: C6 high speed governor test results and pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:54:23 PM »
That is really cool!  I haven't worked with a C-6 for a while, and didn't know an adjustable governor like that was available.  Nice technical writeup - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
Jay, I'm sure you'll agree that using something like this would have been nice when you were racing your galaxie with the column shift.
I am not sure what a C4 looks like, but I'll bet it is similar. I'm also not sure how a manual valve body would change things.
After thinking about it, I would imagine this mod would not work on a manual valve body.

I have a stock floor shift, but racing jitters/nerves always mean the possibility of moving the shifter too far, and then there's the consistency factor.
I have in the past used a B&M floor shifter, but they aren't as convenient as the stock shifter and obviously don't look stock.

When I race my 67 mustang I just leave it in gear, but it is a small cam motor and the low 5400 shift rpm works out.
When I get around to upgrading the engine I will be doing this mod to it also as I like just putting it in drive, punch it, no worries.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:13:22 PM by rcodecj »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:51:22 PM »
Back in the day, there was a whole area within Experimental Build-up section at Livonia T&C that was devoted to tailoring the weight of the governor valve. Start with the CJ valve with the little raised line on the middle and grind the inside to raise the shift point. A quarter-turn valve in the line to the vac-pot completed the work. The QT valve was mounted under the dash so as to be easily reached when some hapless chibbie driver rev'ed his engine in Telway.

KS

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »
I found a problem with the length of the high speed governor weight that I used. I believe that the .290 length weight I used is a bit too long and interferes with the piston moving inward all the way so I am removing the info in the post a few pages back so no one is confused. Sorry for any inconvenience.