Author Topic: Moser iron case and Richmond gear shim question  (Read 3034 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Moser iron case and Richmond gear shim question
« on: September 04, 2015, 03:43:56 PM »
I have a weird one here, wondering if anyone has any experience.

I have a set of Richmond gears I am trying to set up for my Mustang, they are lightened and REM polished and don't have a pinion depth on the end.  However, the instructions said to start with a .020 pinion shim if you didn't have a number or the ability to check

I am using a Mark Williams Daytona bearing retainer and a Moser N-case along with a Truetrac 31 spline diff.

The REM polishing makes it very tough to see the pattern, nothing wants to stick to it enough to show how it meshes, so I initially used the recommended .020 shim, set backlash and tried it.  Its was ridiculously noisy at steady cruise, a loud whine/ringing.

So, most of my 9 inch setups end up with a pinion depth around 1.030 - 1.031, so I checked this one and it was extremely deep at 1.010.  However, I have never seen a 9 inch take .045-.050 of shim pinion and Richmond's advice seems to support that 

My thought is that maybe the combination of parts makes the Richmond recommendation no good?  Additionally I am wondering if the REM polishing could be causing the gear to shed oil making noise.

What do you guys think?  Have you ever set up a 9 inch that needed that much pinion shim?  Do you think starting at 1.031 is a smart estimate?  I am halfway considering ordering a set of motives and be done with it, but these are very expensive and very nice (looking anyway LOL)

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

XR7

• View Profile
Re: Moser iron case and Richmond gear shim question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 05:00:43 PM »
Hi Ross, I posted a reply on the FE Forum, but forgot to add that my Richmond REM polished XP gears were not noisy. Again, I have had a few that took a lot of shim to get a good pattern (like stack two together to get .032 or something etc.), as well as some in the more normal .015-.020 range.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 05:09:51 PM »
Perfect, thanks, these were SO noisy that I though either the pinion was coming out of it or my new alum driveshaft was ringing.

Today I put the alum driveshaft on the old rear with a 1350 yoke, and it's quiet, so now I am at least content it's inside.

I have half a mind to soda blast the gear face if I can't get it to hold anything for a picture, but I am not there yet
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 06:48:58 PM »
I have a Richmond 4.33 gear, Yukon billet daytona support, Strange nodular Street/strip case, and Yukon 31 spline Trac Lok. I may have written my specs down, but I know my shim was in the .022-.025" range. One thing I like to do is deburr every tooth on the pinion and ring gear carefully with a scotch brite pad in a die grinder. That also helps ensure a quiet gear set. Did you use regular marking compound? Someone I know has almost always used anti seize. Don't know if that would help you.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »
I picked up some Prussian Blue today and it seems to be doing OK.

Waiting to hear from Richmond on checking depth, not critical, but if you know their spec the setup goes quick

I am in no hurry, I have a factory N case with a Traction lock and 4.10s in it now, this is just my fancy carrier LOL
Ross

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:06:35 AM »
Heard back from Moser (I wasn't stalling to set them up with my own eyeball, but wanted to see what Richmond and Moser recommended for pinion depth)

Richmond never answered, I was suprised.  However, the guys at Moser, like always, bent over backwards.  They took 6 sets of Richmond 4.11s off the shelf and gave me all the checking distances off the end of the pinions.  They ranged from 1.022 to 1.026, so mine is certainly deep right now.

Need to do fuel filters on the diesel, a master cylinder swap on the Mustang and then I'll start looking at the gears.  Hopefully the Prussian blue will stick to these slippery gears
Ross