Author Topic: Standard Abrasives Porting Kit  (Read 2839 times)

jimeast

• View Profile
Standard Abrasives Porting Kit
« on: August 30, 2015, 10:38:10 PM »
Will this kit be adequate for porting a set of cast iron heads.  I also have a few carbide cutters, but nothing like the selection of cartridge rolls in this kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Abrasives-260001-Deluxe-Porting/dp/B0015DQH2Q

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Standard Abrasives Porting Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 11:03:45 PM »
That's way over priced!
Go to summit and get one of their kits.
Just don't spin them at 5000 rpm. ::)
After you bend and break the mandrels you can cut the head off a 1/4" grade 8 bolt and file or turn
the end down to fit in the rolls.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-g1060/overview/

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 11:20:44 PM »
Just don't spin them at 5000 rpm. ::)
After you bend and break the mandrels you can cut the head off a 1/4" grade 8 bolt and file or turn
the end down to fit in the rolls.

I don't know what you're talking about with that rpm. ::) ::)

I may have bent a few.......
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

jholmes217

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 12:14:56 AM »
I got the Jegs kit foe cheaper, and also go a carbide grinder bit for the heavy stuff.  I use the grinders grease that Eastwood sells on the bit, and it helps keep it from getting clogged.
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:51:05 AM »
You'll be pissing in the wind with that shit. I wasted a ton of time on my first port job on a 2.3 Ford. Iron is a slow grind. You watch the stone wear down on the iron. Flap wheels and rolls are not up to much iron - though the high dollar name brand like Norton are miles better then the Asian jobs.  Experience has taught me carbide burrs picked up at the big swap-meets for around $10 ea are the only way to go. I learned the "special" big flute alum burrs are a nightmare being far to aggressive on alum. For alum & steel I use carbides and plenty of lube and allow lube to soak in the piles of debris as a reservoir. Fine oiled burrs leave magnificent clean "machined" surfaces. Pneumatic die-grinders are pokey, noisy, windy, frustrating with variable torque/loading and even great for freezing your fingers off. I started with a Harbor Freight elec die grinder and finally scored a magnificent Bosch 30,000 rpm die grinder that purrs like a kitten and will take a loading w/o dropping rpm at a pawn-shop for a song