Author Topic: I was wondering if there would be any reason(s) to not run an aluminum spacer  (Read 2347 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
with the common steel sleeve at the timing cover seal surface instead of the production iron/steel FE crank spacer? .... There's always folks whittling on cranks to reduce weight and even going as far as machining a daisy pattern out of the rear flange to reduce weight.
At 1lb 4.5oz for a production spacer I presume you could shed around a pound by using creative machining and aluminum? ....I believe by the book it would require re-balance on a retrofit or perhaps the aluminum spacer could be counterweighted when machined.  You pay big bucks for an aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft so why not?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:07:01 PM by Qikbbstang »

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Aluminum was available for a while, but it has the tendency to wear where the seal rubs, and leaks.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

427Fastback

• View Profile
Aluminum weighs 1/3 what steel does...The spacer would have to be hard anodized to tolerate the seal..Very,very few are anodized..
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
The Blue Thunder ones are hard anodized and seem to work OK.
We have been making aluminum ones that incorporate the "stainless repair sleeve" as a wear surface.
I still prefer steel.