Author Topic: Edelbrock 60069 Heads  (Read 14470 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock 60069 Heads
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 03:37:29 PM »
Jim, good to hear feedback. A suggestion: enlist someone to help when plopping that big intake back on. Heck, even in aluminum....it's a bear!  ;D
Bob Maag

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »
I would skip the RTV altogether.....

Use the Right Stuff, TA-31, Dow-Corning silicone, or similar.  Put a small smear around every port on the heads, lay the gaskets down, then set the intake on it and let it sit overnight.  Go back the next day, smear some more on the gasket around the ports, lay your beads down for the end gaskets, then set the intake on, start the bolts, set the distributor (make sure intake is centered around it), then tighten her down. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 06:45:13 PM »
I would skip the RTV altogether.....

Use the Right Stuff, TA-31, Dow-Corning silicone, or similar.  Put a small smear around every port on the heads, lay the gaskets down, then set the intake on it and let it sit overnight.  Go back the next day, smear some more on the gasket around the ports, lay your beads down for the end gaskets, then set the intake on, start the bolts, set the distributor (make sure intake is centered around it), then tighten her down.
When I said RTV I meant "The Right Stuff". I called NAPA earlier today and they had two calk containers of it. They laid one back for me. I'll do it like you suggest. One more day after all this isn't going to hurt me. Thanks, Jim

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
Update:
   Just to let you guys know, the engine is back together. I noticed one thing this time that was different from the first time I put it together, the intake bolts dropped right into place and tightened by finger without moving the intake around to get the bolts in. Have no idea how it lasted for 20K miles like it was, but it did. I can rev the engine now without making smoke. It still has 17 inches manifold pressure and the gauge still acts the same as before. Taught me a lesson. Thanks again everyone. I'd never have thought the vacuum gauge wouldn't have indicated a vacuum leak.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »
Great! Happy FE'ing! 
Bob Maag