Author Topic: Wheel Vintique Magnum 500s  (Read 4884 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Wheel Vintique Magnum 500s
« on: June 30, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »
 I thought I would share my experience with Wheel Vintique. A couple of years ago I bought a pair of 15X10 Wheel Vintique Magnum 500s from Summit to mount my slicks onto. My other Magnums I believe are Specialty Wheel that I have had for many years and are great quality. Anyway, when I mounted the slicks some of the chrome peeled off the rim edge. I noticed the shiny chrome on the front side of the wheel only extended to barely past the outer part of the rim. Last week I decided to screw my slicks to my wheels as they were spinning on the rim at Tulsa last weekend. Several places where I drilled the holes the chrome peeled off.
I have stick on weights on the back side of the wheels and as a matter of habit I put some good duct tape over the weights to help keep them in place. When I  peeled the tape off, in preparation of getting them rebalanced, and a huge piece of chrome peeled of the back with the tape! As far as I am concerned these wheels a pure junk. I measured the thickness of the piece that peeled off and it was less than 0.0005" thick!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:42:35 PM by AlanCasida »

BruceS

• View Profile
Re: Wheel Vintique Magnum 500s
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:10:04 PM »
Alan, agree that's a rotten plating job for sure.  A few months ago I bought a set of chrome OE-style Wheel Vintique wheels from Summit for my Galaxie; 15X7 for the front and 15X8 rear.  I would normally use stick-on weights but in this case I used the typical clip-on weights installed on the inside.  I would never suspect that stick-on weights might peel the plating off! 

Thanks for the heads-up.

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Chrisss31

• View Profile
Re: Wheel Vintique Magnum 500s
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 07:12:45 PM »
I bought 4 V40's they're like the old AR torque thrust wheels.  The front were 16X7" and the rear 16X8", after I ordered them I received a message that said the different size wheels were made in different foundries and that the color of the natural aluminum centers didn't match.  They said the centers would have to be painted to match, an additional $160, reluctantly I agreed.  I had the tires mounted at my shop, by my guys...the paint is not bonded to the aluminum well and chips very easily.  It is also uneven and easily comes off with my finger nail at the break from the painted center to the polished barrel.  I called VWW and spoke directly to the owner Eli, he was not really willing to do much, I sent him pictures and he blew me off.  I should have gone with the original AR wheels, they were cheaper too.