Author Topic: Bench top ideas?  (Read 8569 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Bench top ideas?
« on: June 27, 2015, 09:46:22 PM »
I have a couple of extra Snap-on bottom roll cabinets.  KRA-2008.  Like the picture below, but not new (matter of fact they are from the late 80s from our shop and I don't really use them as tool boxes anymore)

The idea is to put them both with about 3 feet between them and a common work bench connecting them, a WAG would be a 36x72 or so bench top

I was thinking of gluing a bunch of 2x4s together and then sanding and oiling them, but I think pine won't be durable.  Oak would be pretty expensive.

I also considered counter top from Lowes/Home Depot, etc, the backsplash that is built in would be nice, but I would imagine that they are not very chemical or heat resistant, plus it seems bolting a vise to it could cause a counter top to fail.

Anyone have any other ideas?  My goal is to make it look like it could be bought from Snap on and be very usable without fear of breaking the bank.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Bench top ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »
My shop tables are based on what was cheap (free).  In my case, we've got a silo full of marine grade 3/4inch plywood :P

So I doubled them up, staggering the joints and screwing it all together with a lil liquid nails.  So 1.5inch plywood.  I ripped it all down once screwed together, putty'd it with sheetrock mud, sanded it all down and painted it.  Looks pretty nice and is strong enough I can build an engine or transmission on the table with no issues whatsoever.

Obviously in your scenario you'll need to support that 72 inch in the center.

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »
Maybe try the Pine  boards or 1 1/4 sturdi-floor, then some thin gauge steel or stainless steel bent to fit. My buddy did it on his counter tops in his shop, looks great. He glued the stainless down with liquid nails and it seems very durable.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 12:10:54 AM »
Check locally for used bowling lane wood or gym floor wood. Search for things like Re-purposed or Reused wood. It can be fairly expensive, but you might get lucky.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 12:39:57 AM »
The cabinets were part of a demo from a office building 15 years ago. I used 2 layers of 3/4" MDF then trimmed the outer edge with walnut strips from another demo. Covered the top with Laminate, then routered the edge to a 45* angle. It been very durable over the last 10 years. I do have a bench vise bolted to the other end.

John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

The Magic Ratchet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 06:49:55 AM »
Ikea has butcherblock tops in various sizes. IIRC, they also have butcherblock countertop which you can order in any size you require.

Lou
Lou Manglass
Proud owner of "The Magic Ratchet"

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »
The Home Depot/Lowes countertop material is much more durable than you might suspect.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 08:09:24 AM »
The Home Depot/Lowes countertop material is much more durable than you might suspect.

Agreed.  My wife's side of the shop is where she runs her soap company.  The lowes counter tops have been in there for 6 years and with her spilling Lye, essential oils, etc on them, they have shown little wear.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 08:11:16 AM »
The problem with making a new bench
is it's just another place for junk to pile up. ;)

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 08:20:22 AM »
The problem with making a new bench
is it's just another place for junk to pile up. ;)

Truer words have never been spoken LOL !!!

Thanks for the great ideas.  I'll check them all out.  I originally liked the idea of a wood top, but the steel cover seems like it would be nice and of course the countertop would be SO much easier.  It's not like I am a production shop either, so good to know the Lowes stuff can handle a little abuse to protect me from myself LOL
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 11:01:40 AM »
diamond plate alum. just to give it that manly, industrial  look.  No sense in making it nicer than the old ladies kitchen, or you'll end up putting granite in the house.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 12:05:28 PM »
i like to cover my hard benches that i use for fabricating and rough work with sheet metal. when it gets really dirty i take a 3" 3m course pad and clean it up. looks really good when clean with a nice swirl pattern as well and last a really ling time. my finish work or Assembly benches are all laminate counter top covering. i use the 4'X8' sheets and cut them to size for the differant bench tops.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 12:50:09 PM »
I used an oak kitchen countertop from a building suply company
that was cheap beacuse it got some minor scratches from shipping.
Works fine bolting a wise to it and bolting it to the steel cabinets
with carriage bolts.
You can use a thin nitrilerubber mat on top of that if you want it moore
chemical resistant when the mat get to oily and greasy i just spray
it with brake cleaner and whipe it clean.
Or cover it with sheetmetal but better cusion with the rubber if you drop
something thats fragile

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »
diamond plate alum. just to give it that manly, industrial  look.  No sense in making it nicer than the old ladies kitchen, or you'll end up putting granite in the house.

Ain't that the truth!
Ross

LargeRickhead66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 07:58:12 PM »
I built my work bench top out of a heavy solid core door. Lots of stuff on it ( always ) and the bench vise is as secure as the day I bolted it on.