Author Topic: Solve the Conundrum  (Read 10536 times)

FElony

Solve the Conundrum
« on: June 10, 2015, 06:08:25 PM »
My daily rides back in the day were a '63 Stingray, a '68 Charger, and a '70 Continental. All were purchased new. The '63 got a "typical" custom paint job in Lime Gold Metalflake, and wore white rims with dual red pinstriping. A local shop put in lower gears. The other two stayed mostly stock. At one time I had all three parked aside each other.

'Roundabout '72 I decided to enter a local drag race. I decided to run the '63 since it was the lightest. Too much gearing, though. I holeshotted the first two opponents and RPM'd them but eventually got freight trained by a guy with less gear. The eventual winner in my class was Mike Dunn. Yes, that Mike Dunn.

The conundrum? I was born in 1956.

country63sedan

• View Profile
Re: Solve the Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 06:25:05 PM »
Are you your own grandpa? Sorry, been a long hot day. Later, Travis

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 06:38:23 PM »
You didn't say they were purchased new by YOU.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

FElony

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
You didn't say they were purchased new by YOU.

Yes, I was first owner of all three, 0 miles. My first used car was in '73, a '68 GT/CS.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
Old stock? The chev would have been tough though.
Or you got one those fancy time machines.
Pretty nice driveway art for a 16 yr old.

FElony

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 07:10:46 PM »
Old stock? The chev would have been tough though.
Or you got one those fancy time machines.
Pretty nice driveway art for a 16 yr old.

Even more impressive for a 7-year-old.   ;)

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 07:16:48 PM »
The folks titled them in your name and allowed/ took you to go drag racing my at 16?  ??? That's the kind of parents I wanted.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 07:22:17 PM »
I suspect you were a paper boy.... and did well enough to buy brand new bikes (as in pedal) over the years..I got a 69 Cougar brand new in 1969 when I was 10.....I have another one now....Cory

1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

FElony

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 07:51:31 PM »
I suspect you were a paper boy.... and did well enough to buy brand new bikes (as in pedal) over the years..I got a 69 Cougar brand new in 1969 when I was 10.....I have another one now....Cory

AND WE HAVE A WEEEEENER!! Mostly.

Kevin was certainly watering the right fire hydrant, so I had to sidestep his response with a BS answer. Note how things were worded, and I did not use Chevy, Dodge, or Lincoln. So, let's rock:

1963 was the year Schwinn released the famous Stingray bicycle. One of the identifiers of a very early production bike was the rims were actually painted white with red pinstripes. Later bikes eventually came with chrome rims. Two or three years after my dad bought it for me, we stripped it to the frame and I rattle-canned it with the aforementioned flake paint. George Barris eat your heart out. The regearing took place because my commute to school had a considerable upward grade for about two thirds of it, and I needed torque.

In '68 Schwinn released the Krate bikes, which introduced the center-bar inline shifter. A neighbor kid wasted no time getting one, subsequently sliding forward off the seat and smashing his adolescent nutses. This happened often enough that those shifters were outlawed or something a few years later. In the meantime, a smaller bike company based in New York by the name of Stelber introduced their Charger. The trick part was the the 3-speed hub was controlled by the right hand grip, basically a rotary handle shifter. This allowed you to shift gears without letting go of the handlebars. My dad bought me this, and I avoided smashed nads until my third girlfriend. Here's an ad for a single-speed Charger:

http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/files/_60__k.3..1967_feb_bj_stleber_ad009b.jpg

The Continental was, again, a Schwinn, this time a Candy Apple Red 10-speed. The ride to high school was even more uphill than elementary school, and I needed even more torque. Is there such a thing as too much torque? Oh gimme a freakin' break.

So, that leaves the second part of the conundrum. Drag racing against the Dunn family in a Schwinn? Here's the answer. See that the opening shot ties this thread into the Cammer Tuesday thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS1ke0Cpl5s

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 08:43:42 PM »
I can one up ya. my first new bike was a huffy rail. purple with a sissy bar & that bad ass red line slick. circa 1966 or 7. I was sofa king cool.  that was until it went into a death wobble at the top end & crashed. got a capped front tooth from that one. also born in 56. still have the bike though, & the tooth.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 09:19:48 PM »
Bicycles never crossed my mind.
My first new bike was around '78.... some of yall are older than me!  ::) And apparently  have a better memory. Cause I remember it as a orange Huffy from Woolworth. Model, your guess is as good as any bodies???
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »
Hadn't thought of bikes. The cool bikes you speak of were way before my time. I was born in 75. I did acquire a Stingray a few years ago, it  has a nut buster shifter like the pic Cory showed.I also have a brand new Goodyear slick for it. No time to restore it yet, but it is on the "to do list". Later, Travis

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 11:54:53 PM »
Who, other than FElony...
 ;D ::) ;D

KS

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 05:32:34 AM »
I had /have my first new bike still, a Schwin Typhoon. Candy apple red and a single speed rear. I rode the hell out of that bike, my dad clocked me at 50 mph once. Its probly the reason my knees ache today! Felony I`m only three yrs older than you. I was gonna say did you ever have the slicks on you bike?

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 08:33:48 AM »
Ahhh Those  bikes brings memorys.I had and still have
a Finish bike. Tunturi Ralli. Yellow with a black "console"
on the twin upper frametubes with a crome T shifter
with lightening holes, In a crome autotrans like gear
selector ,3speed, high sissybar,high apehanger handle
bars and crome simulated
springed front fork 8) 8)

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it