Author Topic: Waterless Cooling fact or fiction?  (Read 2540 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Waterless Cooling fact or fiction?
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
You'll note they admit it is not as good a thermal conductor as water.  To me that's crossing into the high glycol ratio where the conductivity falls from dropping the water content. Any wizards here that are knowledgeable about determining thermal conductivity of a fluid?

I think of the tiny passages in an FE head that are adjacent to the exhaust valves, ex- ports and ex- manifold/headers that must deal with high heat and small whetted surface areas.
When they start claiming "Increases fuel economy up to 10%" you know the bullshit factor is flowing so how badly is it flowing?

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/waterless-engine-coolant/1376127/

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Waterless Cooling fact or fiction?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:16:49 PM »
Evans sells more than one product, depending on intended usage. As an engine coolant, what Evans has to offer is that the additive package along with the (mostly) propylene glycol makes the coolant particularly worthwhile in internal combustion engines.

You can buy a similar material by going through those who do radiant floors. The fluid that is put through the heater and then pumped through the grid under the floor is much the same material.

This was brought to my attention some years ago by a guy who was associated with an 'Altered' drag car powered by a sbc. They were having trouble with cooling and upon a suggestion put the 'heating fluid' in the radiator. I was told that it immediately became necessary to drive around in the pits to 'get some heat in it'.

I've talked to the Evans people and for their 'race' package, they recommend a waterpump with a special pumping capacity and the use of a Griffin radiator spec'd for the Evans material. The rad has very large (1 1/2 inch?) tubes and a different fin arrangement. They are trying to get a very high volume flow, and completely remove the thermostat.

It seems to be a given that, properly used, this is a very worthwhile approach.

KS

afret

Re: Waterless Cooling fact or fiction?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 07:55:39 PM »
My brother has been using Evans coolant in his F350 diesel for years.  Works great.