Author Topic: Car dies when I give it gas  (Read 29281 times)

428Marauder

• View Profile
Car dies when I give it gas
« on: March 02, 2015, 09:09:09 PM »
Sorry to bother you guys with boring stuff again. I have been working in this car for years, had it to multiple mechanics, they all charge me a lot of money, and it never runs well for very long. Lately, I am pretty sure the trans is going out on the car, and I was going to take it in this morning. Been  stting for a couple months, but I start it once a week or so. started it yesterday and it started and ran fine for 5 minutes. This morning it started, and then stalled on me. Then wouldn't stay running, like it was out of gas. It's not out of gas, but I did discover a fuel leak at the pump. When I got the motor it was run with an electric pump, but I switched it back to manual about a year ago. Seems better, but still problems. i replaced the points myself and then 2000 miles later some jerk mechanic charged me like $100 in parts and labor to replace them again.

Anyway, the car was running pretty well. Still has stalled on me once, but started right back up. I was fullly ecxpecting to drive her to the mechanic this morning for the trans swap. Different mechanic. Another one a friend suggested to me is why the car has been sitting for 3 months. Been waiting.

I've done everything, gas pump,,fuel filter, custom exhaust, aluminum radiator, insulated my fuel lines, re built the carb, wires .... think I did plugs, not sure. I have no idea what could be wrong. Could it just be fouled plugs? it would be a gradual thing though, right? When she runs, she's great, besides that trans issues.

Oh yeah, it's a 428 4bbl with a C6.

Suck, bang, blow ... as they say. Not getting enough bang.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:49:14 PM by 428Marauder »

428Marauder

• View Profile
Re: Car dies when I give it gas
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:41:02 PM »
Could a low charge on the battery ... nah, right, no reason to charge the battery if it cranks and goes, I'll put the charger on it, maybe get new points again, whhat is that like $10 at autozone, and try and spray some carb cleaner in there. It's weird it will idle, but you give it gas ... phhlifhouph... Dies out.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:48:05 PM »
Sometimes the vacuum advance quits working properly, and when you mash the acclerator pedal, the engine goes very lean and dies/back fires.  If it will keep running and loads up/gets very rich and black smoke comes out the exhaust, you may have a weak coil, dead plugs, or bad fuel.  Today's fuel will gum up the carb if it sits long and evaporates from the carb.  Sitting is the worst thing for a carbureted engine because of today's fuel is formulated for high pressure efi systems.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:51:28 PM »
Coil has been replaced as well, a couple years ago. Yeah, it's something to do with it sitting too long. No smoke issues.

Thanks for your response.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 12:24:06 AM »
Joe is right about the fuel. Having the same fuel in there for months can cause some issues, sometimes not. When it does, it can be a real pain just trying to keep it running for a few seconds. Being a little more time specific about the starting/dieing problem could help pinpoint it more. In certain climates this time of year, ice build-up can happen pretty quickly, like in about 20-30 seconds, on a carb, and it will fight you tooth and nail until it gets enough heat built up to unfrost it. It's easily recognizable by seeing a light frost on the outside of the carb, usually starting about the middle of the carb body and extending down to the base. Most heat risers have long since quit working, and that is what they were designed to do, heat the air going in so it doesn't frost up.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:29:22 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 05:44:48 AM »
Wow, you guys are smart. Yeah, I am in Arizona and a cold and wet storm has just moved in. The type that will fog up your windows, but no ice.

Usually a really dry climate, running no choke, prolly just the weather, battery charge, being low, etc.

BUT ... that being said, add an electric choke? Be nice to not have any more stalling issues.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:47:20 AM by 428Marauder »

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:27:10 AM »
All good stuff.  When I go back to the start of your post I see where you've been starting it about once a week and not driving it.  It is very possible that you've got some fouled plugs from too much fuel and never getting up to temp.  You stated that you weren't sure if you did the plugs, probably wouldn't hurt to look at them as a possible problem source.

Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 06:49:17 AM »
Especially if they are Champion plugs, lol....I would guess it is fuel related more so than ignition. Accelerator pump not working or a real bad vacuum leak.

Nick
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins of course!
2017 Ford Escape, 2.0 Eco Boost
2001 Ram 2500 4x4 QC short bed, Cummins, 6spd, some mods
1991 Dodge D250, reg cab, Cummins, 5spd, mods
1974 F-350, Cummins, 5spd, 3spd aux, mods
1975 F-250 4x4, 428, C-6, Sled Puller

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »
Plugs are one thing where, it's easier and cheaper for me to just get a "tune up". Than wrench in them myself. Can't remember replacing them. Next on the list for sure. Ok, not Champion?

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »
Gappage?

It's not a question of keeping to original. if an MSD iginiton would solve my problems, I would be fine with that. Need more bang. Suck and blow, no problem. Not enough bang.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:27:33 AM by 428Marauder »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 12:59:02 PM »
Lots of reason but....1st thing I'd check is your pump shot.

Warm it up, shut it off and pop the air cleaner. Hit the throttle quickly wide open while looking into the primary side. One should see a strong shot of gas going into the venutri area. If not, start pulling the float bowls and accelerator pump cover to look for crap and/or a damaged acc. pump diaphragm.
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 07:35:45 PM »
Plugs are one thing where, it's easier and cheaper for me to just get a "tune up". Than wrench in them myself. Can't remember replacing them. Next on the list for sure. Ok, not Champion?

If I get the just of this, you're relaying what you've paid mechanics to do, not having done the work yourself? Without direct involvement (or willingness to do so) and knowledge of exactly what has been done, and how, it will be near impossible to help you out. Telling you to tell a mechanic what to do is something that can/will get expensive quick. Not putting you down, just trying to avoid you throwing a bunch of money at an unknown problem by a bunch of guesswork. If you could find somebody who actually is good with older engines, that would be to your best advantage. Just my opinion.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fe66comet

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 08:24:08 AM »
I have seen a bad ignition condenser do this, if it is still has points change the condenser and file the points.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »
I have seen a bad ignition condenser do this, if it is still has points change the condenser and file the points.

True enough.  Helped a friend out a few months back with his old (is there any other kind? ::)) 8N tractor.  He'd tuned it up, wouldn't run or idle right.  Had him put the old condensor back on and it ran smooth.  Not the first time I'd seen that.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 05:04:10 PM »
had a condenser do that on a 289, swore it was a fuel problem.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner