Author Topic: Fuel Pump and Hard Lines  (Read 5090 times)

emorrison96

• View Profile
Fuel Pump and Hard Lines
« on: February 20, 2015, 01:45:31 PM »
I just got my shiny new pre-bent stainless fuel lines and come to find out they don't line up with the fuel pump and fuel filter canister.  It appears the fuel pump I have does not have the fitting as low as it needs to be by maybe an inch.  The pump I have is a cheap chrome one but if I can find a factory style one that the lines will work with and that will support @ 600HP I'd like to use it.  If not my only option is to cut and flare the stainless line and use rubber in between.  Looking around a lot of sites are advertising the Airtex 362 as a suitable replacement pump but I can't find any pictures to tell if the fitting is in the stock location.  Does anyone here know of a fuel pump that has the fittings in the exact stock location and can support just under 600 HP?

Thanks in advance!

lovehamr

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Pump and Hard Lines
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 02:44:03 PM »
This it?

emorrison96

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »
That looks like it. In the one that I have the inlet and outlet are at the same level.  It appears from that photo that the outlet is lower than the inlet, although the outlet does appear to be in the same place as the one I have.  Do you have one of these?

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 03:06:40 PM »
Just searched "Bing" for photos of your part#.  No I don't have one but It looks just like the old Carter HP pumps.  Don't know about supporting 600hp though.....  :o

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »
I use the Carter M6905 pump on my 462 with the factory repro fuel lines. It all lines up okay, and that pump works well.

emorrison96

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
I just looked up pics of that one and the orientation of the fittings, etc. look perfect.  I'll pick one of those up and try it out.  120 GPH should be more than enough.  As always thanks for the expertise guys - my FE would be a F-AIL if not for this board.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »
M6905 will work but you need to be POSITIVE that the inlet side is plumbed very smooth and clean.  On any pump the inlet side is far more critical than the outlet.  The outlet is under pressure while the inlet sees only atmospheric less whatever negative that the pump can generate.

When I was at Holley we were developing the Volumax gerotor type electric pumps and found a HUGE improvement in flow by running a dual inlet and a single outlet - like 20 or 30% IIRC and a major reduction in cavitation.  You could literally HEAR the pump smooth out when a valve to the second inlet was opened on the test stand.

A 600 HP engine will require 300 pounds of fuel/hr at a .500 BSFC.  Many fuels run around 6 or 6.5 pounds per gallon - so you only need to have 50 gallons of fuel supply/hr.  But also remember that many pumps are not honestly rated - free flow numbers are near meaningless - you need flow at the specified working pressure for the system.

emorrison96

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 11:31:56 PM »
Well guys, I'm embarrassed to post this but at this point I owe it to the forum and especially those who responded here.  I test fit my new stainless lines knowing they would not fit at both ends due to the previously mentioned problems and noticed that then new ones were WAY off; the top line was connected to the canister and the bottom was so far away from the fuel pump that any fuel pump change would not allow it to connect.  The line appears to be symmetrical but I assure you it is not.  If you're having this problem, you've got it upside down.  That's right - I had it installed upside down.  To the naked eye it appears that you can install the line in any orientation but I assure you, you can't.  The attached photo shows the line installed and it is under more tension than I would like, but it does fit.

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »
Hey, at least you found it!  Can't say that things like that never happen to me either.  :o

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 08:44:03 AM »
might be tuff getting that water line on ....lol ...hopfuly this is just preassembly.

emorrison96

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 03:38:17 PM »
Yep - plumbing the fuel system now.  I'll take the intake off to attach the fuel distribution block and mount the linkage and attach the bypass hose at that time.  I want to use the original whit stripe heater hose for that for OCD purposes.