Author Topic: FT 330 and C6 trany?  (Read 3457 times)

oilman

• View Profile
FT 330 and C6 trany?
« on: February 17, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
Hi.

I have a 330 FT from a 1969 F500. Unfortunately the truck is now gone. But I still have the engine. And I had a fairly extensive rebuild invested into it.

Now what I'm hoping to do is mount an automatic, like the C6. Will the 330 crank flange accept a flex plate and converter from a C6? I picked up a trany core from the wrecker. That seems a match. I have no flex plate or converter at the moment.

Plan is if I can mount an auto to the motor. To plunk them into a 93' XJ12 chassis.

Lorne.

jmlay

• View Profile
Re: FT 330 and C6 trany?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 04:16:29 PM »
http://www.f150forum.com/f2/converting-ft-block-fe-setup-189750/

"The rear of the FT crank is also different...the pilot hole is larger, as is the area to support the flywheel. Both require custom machining to be happy with passenger car applications. The flywheel centering flange is too tall and will need to be shortened. If you are going to use an automatic you need to have a reducing ring machined so the converter will fit in the end of the crank.
Be sure and have the assembly balanced as it may take heavy metal to come in."
Mike

oilman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the link and info!

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 05:30:34 PM »
A330 FT engine seems to me to be an unlikely subject for a Jag swap except for the fact that you already have it.

Might it make sense to sell the FT to someone looking for fresh power for a truck and then buying an FE to put in the jag. The engine'd have much less in the way of cast-iron accoutrements and would thus be significantly lighter as well as offering more power.

Just a thought.

KS

oilman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:41:34 PM »
@Cammerfe Its true, that would be a wise plan.  But I spent like $2500 on the rebuild and bits n pieces. I want to get my monies worth outta it! And I like Cast Iron. For a daily driver/ beater. Aluminium has its draw backs. The only real problem so to speak as I see it is the oil pump being on the front. A rear oiler would have fit the engine bay better. And If I need to cut the crank flange. That too would be a bit of a bummer. But doable.

We''ll see. I don't think there's a big market for a 1969 FT engine. Least wise not the 330.

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 08:34:01 PM »
Might want to check if it's a 330MD- IIRC the MD version used a regular car/pickup water pump and small crank snout, maybe the rear flange is also standard. I used to have an F600 dump with one, and swapped the trans, but never had the clutch/ bell out of it

oilman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »
@Meangrene, yes I should try and run the serial number on the motor. Or perhaps just measure the snout.