Author Topic: seeking advice  (Read 4052 times)

shady

• View Profile
seeking advice
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »
I have a 62 Gal. with 352 & a slush-o-matic. I have every thing to convert it to a big input top loader & 389 gears. about 30 years ago I bought a box of goodies from a guy cleaning out a garage & in it was a Lakewood blow proof bell & an alum Harvey flywheel. The flywheel is 184 tooth which means I can use a modern starter Being the cheap bastard I am, I'd like to use it rather than buy a new steel one. My concern is I always thought alum. flywheels were for light weight cars. Any input would be a apr.  Thanks, shady
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I would not say that aluminum flywheels are for lightweight cars only.  An engine with a heavier flywheel will accelerate more slowly and idle more smoothly than one with an aluminum flywheel.  Clutch engagement will be smoother with a heavier flywheel, and that may be why you've heard that they are for lightweight cars only, but you can still use an aluminum flywheel with a heavy car.  I've always preferred aluminum flywheels because they rev quicker (less inertia) than a heavy steel flywheel.  JMO - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 04:31:57 PM »
It would pretty much come down to application, in my opinion. On a stock or lightly modified street car, there's really not much benefit to the aluminum and several drawbacks. Like Jay said, rougher idle and having to slip a clutch more on takeoff can be big drawbacks because that's where most clutch 'chatter' comes into play. There can be several benefits to aluminum on real street/strip or strip only cars, but I'd prefer steel if it was mainly street. Especially in a heavier car.

edit: I'd also add that with a smaller engine like your 352 that the heavier flywheel is a much better choice. It gives you that momentum with the shorter stroke to get the car moving. It will also be smoother on gear changes. If it was a 470+ci engine that has loads of torque and stroke, that might be different.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:37:20 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 06:01:11 PM »
I am using an aluminium flywheel behind the 462 cube FE in my 63 Galaxie, with a wide ratio toploader and 4.11 rear gears. The only concession to driving is it needs a few hundred extra revs when taking off in 1st gear, otherwise it is fine to drive on the street. However, my engine probably makes a whole bunch more torque than your 352. I'd still give it a go in your situation, if you don't like it, then change to a steel one.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 10:06:03 AM »
thanks guys, I'll probably give it a shot just because I have it. I am building a 390 to replace the352 at some point. The alum. is 15lbs. lighter, but the blowproof bell is 10lbs. heavier, so not much weight savings.the 62 has a crites glass front clip & bumpers & offy alum intake, so I'm always looking to save weight. I've had a few 352 cars & this one runs nice. 4 speed & 389s should make it bearable. Next question, anybody have experience with sanderson shorty headers? car does have ps. thanks

ps. i'll try to get a bio together soon.
ps.ps. I googled Harvey alum. It seems they were the foundery for schiffer and those flywheels were prone for the steel friction surface to separate from the alum. body. seems the surface was spray welded onto it.
back to the steel I guess.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:39:22 AM by shady »
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »
thanks guys, I'll probably give it a shot just because I have it. I am building a 390 to replace the352 at some point. The alum. is 15lbs. lighter, but the blowproof bell is 10lbs. heavier, so not much weight savings.the 62 has a crites glass front clip & bumpers & offy alum intake, so I'm always looking to save weight. I've had a few 352 cars & this one runs nice. 4 speed & 389s should make it bearable. Next question, anybody have experience with sanderson shorty headers? car does have ps. thanks

ps.ps. I googled Harvey alum. It seems they were the foundery for schiffer and those flywheels were prone for the steel friction surface to separate from the alum. body. seems the surface was spray welded onto it.

Unless your 'wheel's steel insert looks burnt or warped, I'd try it. In really high powered drag only cars, yes the insert could get toasted. But that's a whole 'nother beast IMO.
Bob Maag

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 12:47:20 PM »

Any Schieffer flywheel I ever had to do with had a riveted steel wear-surface. I, too, am a believer in aluminum fly-wheels.

KS