Author Topic: Is there such a thing as an electric vacuum pump with enough volume for pan evac  (Read 3013 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
...and just to make it tougher, something that could be used for continuous street use?

Looking for something for a street diesel with lots of boost
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

XR7

• View Profile
Hi Ross,

it doesn't sound like it, but maybe things have changed since this was written (and this is from a manufacturer, so maybe take it with a grain of salt). Good article with a good amount of info on different styles of vacuum pumps and their performance.

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/vacuum-pumps.html

68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Not to my knowledge.

How about a pan evac setup?  Let the headers/exhaust manifolds scavenge?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
How about a 32v cobra brake booster vacuum pump?

My427stang

• View Profile
I don't think the exhaust is efficient enough and at WOT there is back pressure with a cat and exhaust filter, of course that isn't good, but it's a fact of life

The truck only hits about 40 psi max, its not a racer, and I don't need to pull high vacuum numbers but many of them are fighting seal failure  and with the siphon into the intake, it can oil up the intake and cause coking of the fuel heater overt time.  So looking to see if there is something that would take the place of a good PCV

Guys just vent the valve cover to stop the coking, but I'd think there would be power and sealing benefits from coming up with some vacuum, plus it can make a mess under hood with just a breather too

I'll look at the Cobra pump, but my guess is that there isn't anything electric with enough volume for 6.7 liters at 40 psi
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch