Author Topic: test Aluminum vs Carbon Fiber Wheels wJay Leno  (Read 1788 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
test Aluminum vs Carbon Fiber Wheels wJay Leno
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »
 I can see the weight effecting steering input w/gyro effect but it sure makes you wonder how much wheels flex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWiTky3zZXQ&index=9&list=PLcAFCEDZU39xYLamb1NBGW_14DrieamN2

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: test Aluminum vs Carbon Fiber Wheels wJay Leno
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 11:53:30 AM »
I seriously doubt there is $15K worth of additional stiffness in those carbon wheels!

The real benefit is the weight.  The test Porsche has certainly had the suspension rebound and damping set for the lighter unsprung weight of the carbon wheels.  You throw on the heavier aluminum wheels and everything will be off!  The wheels won't follow the undulations of the track quite right, and you'll get the impression of less grip.

I did a track day once on my motorcycle at Buttonwillow.  I thought everything felt pretty good with the factory suspension settings, but then I had a guy tune my rebound and damping right there at the track.  The difference was amazing!  The bike just felt planted like never before, even on off-camber turns.

I think this is the real difference Jay is feeling in the seat of his pants.  You can't really feel the 1 mm of flex you'd get in a factory Porsche wheel.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

TomP

Re: test Aluminum vs Carbon Fiber Wheels wJay Leno
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »
Marsh's Racing Tires had carbon fibre wheels available more than 20 years ago. Not a real new thing.