Author Topic: Are 66-67 Fairlane fuel tanks unique or is there a Mustang one the same? nm  (Read 9839 times)

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile

fastback 427

• View Profile
I think all the mustang tanks are smaller than the 66,67 fairlane tanks. I did see new tanks on ebay, look to be Canadian made for under 200$. Also saw some 3/8 fairlane fuel senders that look nice as well.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

TomP

Fairlane tank is unique to them, same year Comets have side filler necks and Falcons are like that too and shorter length.
I think most aftermarket tanks are Canadian, made by Magna. The company that politician/rich babe Belinda Stronach ran.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-f0Id1EgMbT4/UYNCDX6UAfI/AAAAAAAAPkE/IUkJ0sZiUt8/s1600/belinda_stronach_hottest_women.jpg

Heo

• View Profile
No the Fairlane tank is under the trunk floor
while Mustang tank is part of the trunk floor

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

fecarman

My 66 Fairlane GT tank is the floor in the trunk. Filler neck is in the center behind the pull down license plate bracket. The tank is installed the same as a Mustang. I have owned both. My tank is a replacement made in Canada by Spectra model# F43A. Summit sells these tanks. I had to adapt a filler neck. There is no filler neck with the tank. Hope this helps.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Re:
No the Fairlane tank is under the trunk floor
while Mustang tank is part of the trunk floor

LOL  wonder why Pinto's were "molotov cocktail's on wheels?" and Mustang's were not?

If you've ever looked carefully at the trunk area/tunnels at tops of qtr-panels and even how the headliner's are open paths for travel of flame fronts in early Mustang/Cougars. Fumes alone or a seam ruptured fuel tank or busted off filler section could flood the trunk area with fumes and there is nothing to prevent flames of an explosion from instantly filling the entire cars cockpit in a crash. If you have the fold-down in action it's really a direct shot!
   After seeing the crap on Crown Vic Cop Cars and the "fixes" FoMoCo did to fix a very safe car to begin with by adding robust shields on axle housing etc intended to simply prevent puncturing the tank in a crash and saving officer Joe from a 60mph rear end crash. When compared to early gas "tank trunk floor" cars it is pretty obvious a Fuel Cell in any Ford with a Gas Tank Trunk Floor should be mandatory for piece of mind if you are concerned about be incinerated in a rear end crash.

fe66comet

I have a nice one but probably would cost more to ship than it is worth. More than likely it will go like all the other FE parts I scrapped. If you can buy local or new, it will save you in the end shipping is insane unfortunately on any large parts and costs more than the part most times.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
No chance at local. All the Aussie tanks are different. Mines a bit banged up and some wizard has siliconed it in so getting it out to clean it and work on it could be problematic. I can see a TIG welder in my future.......

Oh...and for the record Fairlane tanks are part of the trunk floor too unlike stated above.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:57:28 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

fe66comet

Yeah when I pulled mine out of the Comet I was amazed at the void it left HUGE hole there in the floor. But tons of room for a fuel cell in the future. If I remember right it was like a 30/20 inch hole in the floor and a ton of bolts holding it in.

Heo

• View Profile
Strange??? my 66 fairlane had the tank under the floor
and my friends 66 also...
Both was sold new in Sweden maby there was some
difference on the Swedish version

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
Wow, that's weird. Even the Aussie built ones here (very similar) have the big hole with top of the tank 'inside' the trunk. Can you remember if there was a plate bolted over the hole or whether it looked like a complete pressing? Did they fill from behind the number plate?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:01:40 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

fe66comet

I can take some pics later if I can find the keys. The tank in my case is the floor. I do remember due to Ralf Naders book "Unsafe at any speed" there were a lot of changes done to body structures but that was later in the seventies. Ford uni body cars were targeted as having fuel tanks explode in a rear end collision, many were upgraded or recalled at that point and repairs and changes were made which might explain differences in design along the way.

TomP

Unless it is something like in Sweden they sold the 65 Fairlanes as new 66's? Like the Aussie 57 Ford being a 56 US version.

They still used the tank as part of the floor in 68 and 69 too. Not sure if a 70-71 Torino did but i'd suspect so.

The Mustang tank could be adapted but you would have to fill in some of the floor with something that will support it and the filler neck will be a ways from the license plate opening.

Heo

• View Profile
No A 66 is a 66 in Sweden.I dont know how the trunk floor was
made. Íf it was a complete pressing or bolted in I never removed
the sound proofing, But the tank was hung from the underside with
two steel bands and you filled it behind the licence plate in the
rear bumper