Author Topic: Hydraulic Roller Lifter  (Read 6274 times)

Nelybel66

• View Profile
Hydraulic Roller Lifter
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:13:22 PM »
Hey All.....

Does anyone know if it's possible to get FE specific hydraulic roller lifters?  I know you can get the 429-460 and FE "dual purpose" hydrualic roller lifters, but I cant find a FE specific hydraulic roller lifter.  I've read where there are differences between the 429-460 specific and FE specific OE hydraulic lifters, and it's possible to run into trouble using the "dual purpose" lifters in the FE.  Thanks!

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
Re: Hydraulic Roller Lifter
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:09:55 PM »
The Morel for the FE has the oil hole in the body at 90 degrees from the lifter oil galley.  That is the correct orientation, and you would have zero issues using the Morel.  Fine product!
Blair Patrick

Nelybel66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »
Thanks Capt.  I'll check them out!

R-WEST

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »
Blair - what's the Morel part number?  I was at their site (Callie's) last nite, and couldn't find an FE specific lifter.
Thanks.
Ron

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:49:49 PM »
Blair,  any chance Morel will be making a limited travel hyd. roller ala Comp Cams in the future that is hopefully the same dimensions as the one they have now?  I'd love to swap mine for a limited travel design, but don't really want to cough up more dough for another new set of push rods too.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 11:49:41 PM »
I've had a few sets of limited travel Morels - but they have been custom made parts so far.  The production ones will work pretty darn OK at decent RPM if you adjust from the bottom/collapsed position.  The production Morel is a 5025 IIRC...

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 12:37:37 AM »
Blair,  any chance Morel will be making a limited travel hyd. roller ala Comp Cams in the future that is hopefully the same dimensions as the one they have now?  I'd love to swap mine for a limited travel design, but don't really want to cough up more dough for another new set of push rods too.

Morel makes two lifter bodies.  I will have to look at the part numbers and see which is which, but they make a "street duty" and a severe duty lifter. I don't know if they will make a limited travel in the street duty version.  The short travel in the severe duty ones I just got was demensionally the same as the severe duty with regular travel, it just did not plunge as far before it bottomed.....only about .030 travel.   Both Morel bodies will need a different length pushrod from a Comp Cams hydraulic roller.   I changed out some Comps a while back and I did have to get new pushrods.  A person might get by adjusting the rocker, but the pivot position might become less than ideal.
Blair Patrick

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 09:57:04 AM »
VERY interesting.  I'll have to check with Mr. Lykins on what the part number was on the morel lifters I have, I suspect they are the regular street version.  However, if I can swap to the limited travel and they will work with my pushrods that would be fantastic.  Would spring pressures have to change?  I'm thinking "no", but I'm no pro FE engine builder.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 10:17:23 PM »
Dano, the severe duty ones are MP 5891, and the standards are MP 5325.  The limited travel ones I got were the same number, 5891,  but had a "limited travel" sticker on the packaging.
Blair Patrick

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 10:36:09 PM »
I suppose Barry may be the only one with a chance of answering this. Does anyone know how many companies  actually manufacture their own FE hydraulic rollers?.........(in the USA I hope)..........I'd almost bet next to none of the Camshaft Mfgs manufacture their own lifters.
   I ask this because decades ago the filter company I was with handled Stanadyne, Florida who I was told manufactured lifters for many companies. It was not my account, never went there. When you think about it hyd lifters can get very complex and hyd roller lifters even more so. The auto aftermarket and speed parts mfgs often repackages items they find to complex or costly to manufacture in house. Often they will have parts made to there spec.. I recall years ago buying TRW forged turbo 2300 Ford pistons and finding the xxxxx'd over FoMoCo numbers clearly still stamped in them.