Author Topic: Keith Craft cammer  (Read 6997 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Bob Maag

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Keith Craft cammer
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »
Boing :o
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:23:33 PM »
Swing  ,  how do we fit a shaker scoop on that ,,  lol   Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

BigNate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 10:42:34 AM »
What a beautiful noise...  :)
Arrrrg.... LOL  My sig line everywhere else is somewhat political... Will that get me kicked?

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »
Not to take anything away from that build, it is super neat, but what would be the difference with a CNC'd wedge head, and fuel injection on a 482 with a good solid roller camshaft?  Horsepower vs torque differences?  Cost difference?  This whole idea of building a SOHC seems to be to build something different from the norm.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
It's just cool Joe.
As any FE would be, you're right.
But a SOHC just tugs at my heart strings.
It goes back to the history and folklore.
Hard to sum up with any logical dialogue.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
I think we all gave up logic long ago ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BigNate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »
Not to take anything away from that build, it is super neat, but what would be the difference with a CNC'd wedge head, and fuel injection on a 482 with a good solid roller camshaft?  Horsepower vs torque differences?  Cost difference?  This whole idea of building a SOHC seems to be to build something different from the norm.  Joe-JDC
Joe - here is my 2 cents....

I don't know one single person running a "built" FE that chose the route because it was the most cost effective way to build horsepower. (in fairness - I do know one guy that threw a junk yard 390 in his ride because it was cheap and available and the price was right)...  My attachment to the FE started with my friend's first car (now my project) which was FE based, and it has continued because it is part of hotrodding / racing folk-lore and because its relative rarity punches "cool factor" through the roof. 

[author braces himself for a slew flames as he writes the following].  If my only factors in determining how to power a hotrod was minimizing dollars per horsepower - I'd find a junkyard LS motor and throw a cheap junkyard S400 turbo on it.  600+ HP for $1500 bucks with very reasonable reliability.  There is a pretty interesting little pocket of folks that have done this and treat the junkyard LS long-blocks almost like a disposable / replaceable part.  They run it until they ventilate the block, then head to the junkyard, haggle down to $900, swap in the long-block and go racing the next weekend.  I don't know the car in this video - but I know one that is VERY similar (including similar HP numbers) that has been on the street in Phoenix for years - on the same stock long-block...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xycy_WgvN9Q

So - why don't I stuff something like this in my Custom?  Because I love the legend of the FE, I want to be different than the crowd, and because for some strange reason I've always been a "Ford guy."  If I had the money to build a cammer - I would - if for no other reason than those.  :-)

Arrrrg.... LOL  My sig line everywhere else is somewhat political... Will that get me kicked?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 11:21:02 AM »
The FE series is the only engine ever to have won in...

-NASCAR
-NHRA, AHRA in Stock, SS, Top Fuel and Funny Car
-FIA distance races (LeMans, Sebring, etc. and multiple timesl)
-Bonneville (M/T's dual engine streamliner @ 400+ MPH)

Came close in early Can-Am road racing too (Mario Andretti and Holman Moody).

No Chevy or any other make can make this claim....primarily due to the LeMans FIA class wins and the nitro cars of yore! 

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:22:30 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »
I am not against a cammer!  I have driven FE's since 1964, and have a 1970 Shelby GT-500 I bought new.  I could build one, but I would only attempt it if I was certain I could procure ALL those little nitpicking pieces that drive you nuts when trying to finish the project.  I am seriously considering putting a FE in one of my Fox mustangs simply because they have the room under the hood.  I have an all aluminum 427Clevor ready, but I am like most folks here, I like things a little different at times to surprise folks when the hood comes open.  I just bought a '55T-bird with 3speed/OD.  That is starting to look very tempting for a test bed for several different engines including a stroker Y-block.   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
Joe,
Would a Cammer fit in the T-Bird?  You got me thinking again! 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »
Not sure on the '55, but the '56 and '57 seem to have a little different suspension and frame.  I know I have seen a SOHC in a picture but not sure if it was a '55 or '56.  I have ridden in a '57 with 427 and toploader, and it was VERY quick.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500