Author Topic: Trunk full of Monkeys 2014 - Wednesday  (Read 3383 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Trunk full of Monkeys 2014 - Wednesday
« on: September 12, 2014, 12:48:34 AM »
Being in the Daily Driver class means we haven't been the first group up to run in the morning, so we haven't had to rush to the track. Although we have had a couple concerns when we've been stuck in rush hour traffic on the way to the track. The routine is to unpack the car, lower the rear tire pressure a few pounds and un-cork the headers. And the occasional adjustment here and there. We got to Thunder Valley Raceway and found a pit spot. I've been able to watch the class cars in the morning. Sometimes one of the big hitter Unlimited cars will run, but they often hang back a bit. When Bailey was running he didn't seem to mind running right away and letting the others chase his number. Lutz also seems like he will make a early pass. The drama of the day was would Larry Larson make it to the track. He did, but with only an hour to go. As we were setting up our pit space I noticed a large group of teenagers come through the gates. Looking around I saw 2 school buses. A little later I asked a couple kids what was going on. They were from vo-tech class at the local school and got to come to Dragweek for the day...how cool is that! Joel made 3 passes Wednesday, the best being 14.05. The other 2 were a fair amount slower. Getting the car to hook up with the street tires is the challenge. We decided to hit the road early and left a good hour before the track closed. We passed Larry Larson who was still on his way a few miles from the track. About a third of the way to Great Bend we were flagged down by a fellow Dragweek competitor who had broke a pushrod. He told us the kid at the local parts store said they didn't have one, but he thought he had located some at a junkyard "...just 9 miles west and 9 miles south..." Well, that turned into a 100 mile round trip, lol. The kicker being on the way back his wife texted, she found someone who knew the right person to ask at the parts store and they had pushrods all along. I told him she's a keeper. We didn't mind, we had fun checking out the junkyard and felt it only right to try helping someone after we were helped Monday, but it made it a late night run into Great Bend. More people on the drive waiting for the Dragweek cars, people bring their hot rods too. I've got a couple pictures but Photobucket isn't working for me tonight, I'll try to add them tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:51:58 AM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V