Author Topic: Trunk full of Monkeys 2014 - Tuesday  (Read 4059 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Trunk full of Monkeys 2014 - Tuesday
« on: September 11, 2014, 12:22:58 AM »
Sorry everyone, I'll probably be a day behind all week. Not sure how Jay finds time to write his detailed posts after racing and driving each day. I did get a photo of Jays car Sunday on his pass

I also got a picture of the engine compartment of the white '69 Torino Jay mentioned in his post. Very nice car.

Heartland Park Topeka has a reputation for having cyclone force headwinds and that's exactly what we had Tuesday, along with hot and humid. Most everyone seemed to be running a little slow. Joel made a 14.23 pass on his first pass and decided to go back for another run, but wasn't able to improve on his time. We did have some concern when he came back to the pits with the car running on what seemed like high idle. We checked the throttle linkage, secondaries, etc. Looked for vacuum leaks and missing vacuum plugs and found nothing amiss. We also checked the timing and it was on with what Joel had when leaving the house. We finally decided just to turn the curb idle screw down a little, and had no more issues. Joel did decide to bump the timing up a couple degrees for the rest of the week. We went back to the stands to watch the final "all run" session and stayed until the end. Spotted this while walking through the pits

I'm guessing they were maybe visiting one of the participants. No one was around to talk to.
Joel turned in his slip and we got our directions to Thunder Valley in Noble Okla. 325 miles, but the drive went well, other than it being miserably hot. I'm guessing a few cars struggled with the heat. While at the track they did announce that 20 cars had dropped out after their track runs Monday and 10 more on the road that night, including one poor guy who hit a deer at 75 mph with his Dart. They're ok, but the car is out. If there is any car someone would like me to get a picture of before the end of the week let me know, I'll see what I can do. That's it for tonight.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

R-WEST

• View Profile
Re: Trunk full of Monkeys 2014 - Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 09:10:11 PM »
Super job.  Love the pics!!  ;)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:29:52 PM »
I'd really like to see an interior picture of Alan Casidy's (spelled wrong) 66 dark green Galaxie w/460 power.. thanking you in advance.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »
Alan's car is beautiful inside and out, I'll see if I can get one. Joel and I just arrived in Tulsa. I told him all he has to do now is make it to the track and stage the car to be a Dragweek survivor!
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V