Author Topic: Trunk full of Monkeys tour 2014 - Monday  (Read 5724 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Trunk full of Monkeys tour 2014 - Monday
« on: September 10, 2014, 12:21:50 AM »
Hopefully Jay and the rest of the forum will forgive the non-FE powered exploits of the Trunk Monkey extrodinaire (HemiJoel) and the Trunk Monkey in training (Thatdarncat). But with Jay out I'll try to provide some coverage. For those that don't get the Trunk Monkey reference you'll have to go back and read some of Jay's Dragweek stories from previous years.  Joel may fill in some gaps along the way. Dragweek has a driver & crew meeting in the morning Monday going over some of the rules and we attended that. They then started running the "class" cars, such as Unlimited, Modified, Gasser etc. After a couple hours of those participants making passes they had a session of Daily Driver, the class Joel is entered in. Joel made what he felt was a decent pass at 14.06 and decided to stick with 1 run. There is another "all run" session after that before they close the track but we loaded up the car and hit the road early. That turned out to be a good decision. Not long after our second checkpoint in Chelsea, OK. a couple hours into the drive, Joel found he couldn't shift down from 5th gear. He found a place to pull off the road, jacked up the car ( jackstand utilized ) and found the 3-4 shift rod had broken in half. The thought  was Magilla Gorilla probably cracked it during the track pass, finishing it off on the road. About the time he got the rod off the trans another Dragweek participant stopped to see if we needed help. He gave Joel a ride back to town where he found a shop to weld the rod. They just did a butt weld, which was good enough to get us back on the road, but Joel felt it needed some re-inforcement. After we were underway Joel called a friend of his, Steve who lives on the way to Topeka and he lined us up with a friend of his, Ralph, who is a retired welder. Joel took the rod off again at Steve's house and we brought it to Ralph who added some gussets and tig welded it. Joel got it back on the car and we finally got to bed around midnight. Of course there was bench racing involved too, but that was a welcome diversion at least. Here's a couple photos of Joel at work and the repaired part.

It's been interesting to see the people that turn out to watch as the Dragweek cars roll through their towns. Since Hot Rod doesn't give us the route we need to take until we are leaving the track I'm not sure how they fiqure out we're coming, but it's a cool part of the experience. I'm a little behind on providing these updates, I haven't had wi-fi for a couple days, but I'll do the best I can and have more for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:40:08 AM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Trunk full of Monkeys tour 2014 - Monday
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:55:44 AM »
Hey Kevin, thanks for the report!  I love seeing pictures of my ex-trunk monkey at work! ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:31:40 PM »
Very cool of you guys to jump into the breach and provide some insider track and on-the-road coverage.  Frankly, I don't know who the heck has the time to watch 6 hours of live feed re-run after work, especially when the HRM mentality seems to be that it's the "Larry and Jeff Unlimited Show" (not that those guys aren't excellent fellows, I'm sure they are).  Anyhow, thanks for reporting on your adventure to date -- looking forward to the next installment!

Trunk monkeys forever!
Michael

TomP

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 09:43:31 PM »
They must publish the routes but i'm not sure where. We are always amongst the first to leave and see these fans in lawn chairs while the tracks are still running. pretty cool thing to see.

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »
Once the days racing starts the route goes up on the Hot Rod Magazine Blog.

Except for the last hour today when both Larry and Jeff had some real drama I find Brian and Davids "banter" fairly balanced. They seem to be looking out the window and announce just about every pair that goes down track.
BTW the guy in the blue Mustang GT must have gone to the Proff. Brown School of Drag Week. That guy is running so many passes that they are giving him full lap times. LOL (Flashback to 2005)
Lance H

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 10:07:11 PM »
BTW the guy in the blue Mustang GT must have gone to the Proff. Brown School of Drag Week. That guy is running so many passes that they are giving him full lap times. LOL (Flashback to 2005)
I was thinking the same thing.
He's beatin the tar outta that thing.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon