Author Topic: Drag Week 2014, Registration and Test 'n Tune  (Read 34569 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Drag Week 2014, Registration and Test 'n Tune
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 07:29:31 AM »
Ouch! Well, we appreciate your reporting and it is a damn share for sure. We'll all be looking to future posts on what actually occurred. We feel your pain, Jay!
Bob Maag

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 07:32:27 AM »
Sorry to hear, Jay.  Hopefully it's something very easy to fix and you'll get her going soon. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

rowdy58ford

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 08:07:55 AM »
Jay If you need a hand to tear down give me a call Greg R  763 444 0141 T-Bolt CC/S  58 Fairlane Out law 650 CI 1200plus HP  63 custom 300 N/SS 519 CI SOHC 857hp so far redyno soon!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:14:00 AM by rowdy58ford »

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 09:04:48 AM »
That really really sucks. We were all pulling for you to do well. Hopefully its something easy and cheap to fix. In our group of racers there is one who drives his car weekly. Its always running and he's always tuning and tinkering. Its fast, consistent and reliable. Then there's me. 8 days before were gonna go racing doing a valve job, installing heads, fuel system, traction set up, shifter, slicks, headers. No time for tuning or driving. Then always wondering why it didn't pick up a little extra e.t.  Just saying your plate looked extra full this year, and its gotta be tough being reliable and fast and consistent, especially when your pushing a thousand horse! Hopefully after a year the car will come around and run like it should.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 09:29:36 AM »
Really very sorry to hear about this, Jay. Take a little time to re-group and recover from the frustration.

I just can't see this being a rod issue. Seems there would have been obvious signs and catastrophic results. The fact the engine ran good during the second half of the run surely doesn't indicate that. Hopefully it's something fairly simple.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

900HP

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 09:43:04 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear this Jay.  Let me know if I can help in some way.

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »
Heartbreak!   :(
 I am sure you are exhausted so you have a good plan, clean up the shop and then tear it apart and see what happened.
Here's wishing you better luck in the future.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 11:45:06 AM »
Sigh....  :( Damn the luck! All the effort, time and money invested and something like this happens. It's just sick and wrong! 
Kevin McCullah

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 01:05:39 PM »
A real shame...and extremely perplexing. Thanks for providing the window on this year's effort, Jay, it has been a privilege being allowed to follow your exploits.  Your openess and commitment to documenting these endeavours are what make the FE Power Forum such a compelling gearhead destination.

And BTW, take heart, if the extent of the damage is limited as hoped then it's an early start for DW 2015 with this incredible machine.
Michael

Garyford

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 02:07:04 PM »
Thanks for the great write up Jay.  I enjoy Tommy T's tongue in cheek response that you are merely mortal, and regarding being 56 years old, would say you are smarter now than before (that's my story and I sticking to it). 

Best wishes on the tear-down.  Another great adventure for us armchair participants, even if a little shorter than wished for.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 02:57:47 PM »
Man what a bummer!  I tend to agree that it's not a rod issue, unless (very unlikely) it spit out a rod bolt and the rest stayed together.  You'd likely be hearing a fairly constant knock if that was the case.  I bet something like a screw or a plug got loose and kicked out the pan by the rotating assembly.  It may have even been something happily sitting in the bottom of the pan...

I'll be curious to see what you fine.  Sorry again for the frustrating turn of events.

- Bill
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

fe66comet

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »
Damn that sucks Jay, I wish it had gone better this year. It seems like every time you go to the meet a dark cloud is hanging over. I really feel bad for you honestly.

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
I wonder if it's a piece of tungston off the crank ?
Lance H

fe66comet

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 05:26:46 PM »
I know it is that little green guy that lives in my oil pan, my pan is off right now so it is my fault. I evicted him and he moved into Jay's pan. Sorry Jay I was hoping he would move into our Chevy dump truck and put it out of it's misery.

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »
That sux bad Jay, I had hoped the bad luck was over. Hopefully it's not too disasterous inside there.

All the talk about jb weld on pan holes makes me need to tell a story. I work on Mack trucks in Omaha, and about 10 years ago, I got sent on a service call. I was told that a concrete pumper was in the basement of the First National building, and it had quit running. This was to be the tallest building in Omaha, and everyone gets tense when loaded cement mixers are lining up and the pumper is dead. I hauled ass down there, locked it in four wheel drive, and drove down into the basement.  I climbed up into the truck and hit the key to hear a solid kerthud. I climbed down from the truck (it was at least six feet in the air on the outriggers). I walked under the truck and saw an exit wound at eye level on the oil pan. The foreman asked if I could just jb weld the hole shut so they could keep working. I explained that the hole was an EXIT wound, and the engine was done. I left the jobsite, but always wondered how they got the truck out of there. I put a new engine in that truck later that week. It also had a hole in the block behind the alternator.     It sux this happened, but there's never a good time for a hole in an oilpan.  Later, Travis