Author Topic: Barry R's Engine Masters 2013 FE motor "article"  (Read 6438 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Barry R's Engine Masters 2013 FE motor "article"
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:22:50 PM »
Enjoy!

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1409_survival_motorsports_ford_fe_big_block_engine_upgrade/photo_01.html

and for outside the box Jon Kaase's 409 Cu In DOHC "CAMMER!"  IF you take the time to study the "stock Ford valvetrain" You got to admire the stock retarding of the cams and check the picture gallery carefully.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/1425_jon_kaases_ford_four_valve_mod_motor/comp_cams.html
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:53:34 PM by Qikbbstang »

mlcraven

• View Profile
Re: Barry R's Engine Masters 2013 FE motor "article"
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:28:35 PM »
The remarkable engineering achievements of today's Ford (including FE) wizards are undeniable. Long gone are the days when the benchmark of a horsepower per cubic inch without a power adder was impressive.  On the other hand, that's a mind-boggling amount of machine work on the Survival Motorsports 433-inch motor; it's truly a 'bespoke' motor. (and, I suspect, certainly outside the scope of what the "average" enthusiast would contemplate in terms of cost/complexity).

As an aside, there's a short note in the back of this month's HRM indicating PHR (and Rod & Custom) is terminated and the Engine Masters deal henceforth will be run under the Hot Rod banner.  I wasn't a regular PHR subscriber in the last few years, but always enjoyed the work of Johnny Hunkins and Steve Dulcich   
Michael

R-WEST

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
Enjoy!

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1409_survival_motorsports_ford_fe_big_block_engine_upgrade/photo_01.html

and for outside the box Jon Kaase's 409 Cu In DOHC "CAMMER!"  IF you take the time to study the "stock Ford valvetrain" You got to admire the stock retarding of the cams and check the picture gallery carefully.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/1425_jon_kaases_ford_four_valve_mod_motor/comp_cams.html

Two amazing engines!!   ;)

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »
Wow, that FE is something!

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »
Thats awesome...

I heard the mod motors kicked so much butt this year they are either handicapping them or banning them next year.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 04:58:15 PM »
They always do handicapping after Fords win yet even with severe handicapping, the Fords will win again as a 4V-OHC engine is naturally so much better than any LS-7 pushrod motor.

I was amazed no one entered a GM Cadillac Northstar V-8 entry but heck, they don't sell Caddy speed parts (wink, wink) att PHR or HR's websites, do they?

Just don't tell those mullet wearing Camaro lovers!
Bob Maag

900HP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
They always do handicapping after Fords win yet even with severe handicapping, the Fords will win again as a 4V-OHC engine is naturally so much better than any LS-7 pushrod motor.

I was amazed no one entered a GM Cadillac Northstar V-8 entry but heck, they don't sell Caddy speed parts (wink, wink) att PHR or HR's websites, do they?

Just don't tell those mullet wearing Camaro lovers!

There was a 400 cubic inch minimum.  They were able to make it with the mod motors but just barely with a 4.75" stroke.  There isn't enough room to make a Northstar motor 400 cubes.  The other viable engine would have been a 1990-1996 ZR-1 Corvette 32V but again, the 400 cubic inch thing. 

As far as the mod motor being "so much better than an LS7" if you take the 2 top finishing mod motors out with their rarer than rare CobraR intake manifolds and look at the 4-valve mod motor Bischoff brought with a normal single plane intake, there was only 4 points separating them from the SAM LS-7. 

Engine Master's is a different deal because of the RPM range we have to run in and the fact the rules are based on AVERAGE horsepower and torque across the rpm band PER CUBIC INCH. 

Yes, this year the 4-valve motors are not legal but you can bring a SOHC 2-valve 5.4 mod motor stroked up to 400 inches if you would like.

BTW, Barry's FE is cool as hell and I'm glad I got to see it in person.  Looking forward to it again 8)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »
Are you going back again this year Mark?  Another Pontiac?
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

900HP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
Yes, sir :D  I'm working on it right now as a matter of fact. 

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 08:41:28 AM »
Re: "but you can bring a SOHC 2-valve 5.4 mod motor stroked up to 400 inches if you would like. " 
  Got to be kidding me?................... So while the brand-x guys can utilize their "hot rod" factory heads that are found on their performance cars the Ford guys get stuck using their plane Jane 2Valve heads - not even what's on the standard Mustang.. The V8 Mustang production head is a Coyote 32V DOHC the "Tech" is in the DOHC's ability to change valve opening/closing independently on BOTH In & Ex. The Coyote uses no air pump - they just alter the valve timing to allow oxygen to flow out the ex-ports. The assholes already handicapped Fords because they would never allow the DOHC timing motors to play. If the rule makers were worth a crap they'd allow Fords to run at reduced displacements but they're chicken.   Barry's stating it may be you don't see many Hotrod parts/ advertisers  for modular Fords makes sense.

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »
^  Trick flow makes 2v heads that flow almost what the 4v heads do and i think they can hold a bunch more lift...

I'd be interested to see what they can do with the 2v.

Anyone mention the hurricane/boss 6.2...  i wan't to see someone stroking and modding them... with all the work trucks they are in they should be dirt cheap in the coming years.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
The assholes already handicapped Fords because they would never allow the DOHC timing motors to play. If the rule makers were worth a crap they'd allow Fords to run at reduced displacements but they're chicken.

LOL
Love that passion.
To bad we don't live closer BB. It'd be funner than hell to tip a few back with you and bench race.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon