Author Topic: 11 sec galaxie ?  (Read 7148 times)

Lnstargalaxie64

• View Profile
11 sec galaxie ?
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:51:39 AM »
Hi Im new and Im looking for suggestions on a 390 based engine for my 64 that will make enough streetable hp to put her deep into the 11s with a 4 speed. I like the idea of Barrys prison break stroker since Im starting from scatch but will 500 ponies put her where I want to be?  Im leaning in that direction with a little more cam and compression on E85. All suggestions or criticism is appreciated
I dont care how they do it in Japan.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: 11 sec galaxie ?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »
500 HP should get you into the 11s with no trouble, providing the suspension and tires are up to snuff.  A stroker is the best way to go to get that power; you will need the extra torque from more cubes because that Galaxie is no lightweight  ;)
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Lnstargalaxie64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »
Thanks Jay of course my dream would be to build a Cammer like yours but . Anyhow suspensuon wise the plan is Caltracs with their split mono leafs. Its good to know I can do it with a 390 based stroker.

LuxurySportCoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »
Haha, Lnstar, you sound like you have almost the same goals for your galaxie as I do with mine. I'll be shooting for 11's with a 445, but a 4 speed isn't quite in the budget yet, so I'm going the c6 route for now.

1964 Galaxie 390 cruise-o-matic. 445 and C6 coming soon.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:08:52 AM »
Haha, Lnstar, you sound like you have almost the same goals for your galaxie as I do with mine. I'll be shooting for 11's with a 445, but a 4 speed isn't quite in the budget yet, so I'm going the c6 route for now.
Haha indeed, once you gentlemen are done I'll know what a '64 Galaxie is capable of with a well built 445/4spd and/or C6 combo.  We already know what one will do with a cammer ;D.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 07:18:50 AM »
yeah i'd like to show you what mine can do but she's been in surgery for a year and a half now.

It took forever just to get an aluminum 427 block together with pond heads and yadda yadda yadda.. .  Parts just get hard to find..  now i have to get my body guy to get his head out of his rear and button everything up..

He started working on my car then picked up a cooperate service contract for a medium duty truck fleet.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »
He started working on my car then picked up a cooperate service contract for a medium duty truck fleet.
Ouch :o, the "started working" part is the hard part.  Tough to go get the pieces and start again.  Serious power for when you do though...

Lnstar, the Survival prison break 445 kit along with one of Barry's fully prepped blocks made the job as easy as it gets for me.  You still tripple check but it's sure nice when everything falls right in line.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Lnstargalaxie64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 02:49:50 PM »
Thanks for all the replies gents but Im just starting on this resto so I would imagine yall will know how they run long before I do. Len how much is BR asking for his prison break short blocks?  I too may go with a C6 first since theyre alot cheaper to build.

sixty3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 02:53:52 PM »
Perfect timing and question, as I have been asking myself the same question since coming back from the Meltdown Drags 2ys ago.  I know I'm running on barrowed time with my current build, BUT hope it lasts at least two more yrs before giving in or showing any signs of driver abuse.  I've been curious as to how to put the next one togeather; purchase built or do myself?  With only two builds under my belt ( 400modified and 390 ) can't say i'm experienced, BUT have one hell of an engine builder on my side ( He's a die hard Old's guy ) that helped all the way through the 390 build.  Says he'll never touch one again.....until I'm ready. 

I've been contemplating on how to start the build?  Start buying parts and in what order OR just start saving until I get to the magic number?  For me its easier to hide the purchases here and there from the wife.  She sees I spent $8k or more on a engine when were both driveing 100K + daily drivers I could be in serious trouble. 

Still have to get the caltraks, had to put cheap *ss slapper bars on for what I'm doing currently.

KevinE
1963 Galaxie Hardtop
TKO600
31spline Mosers w/ 3.50:1 TracLok
Mild 390 w/ some bolt on Edelbrock stuff

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »
Buy it ready to run from Barry, Brent, et all.

Take out a home equity loan, Make payments, hide same from wife, buy her some nice jewelry with the proceeds.

You'll thank me later :D
Bob Maag

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »
Thanks for all the replies gents but Im just starting on this resto so I would imagine yall will know how they run long before I do. Len how much is BR asking for his prison break short blocks?  I too may go with a C6 first since theyre alot cheaper to build.
Lnstr, I don't want to step on toes and I bought mine a while ago.  Best advice I can give is go to www.survivalmotorsports.com and plug in your questions, every application is unique in some way.  Give Barry a call or email him, I'm sure he'll take the time to hook up with you to answer all your questions.

Sixty3, die hard old guys by your side (like me for instance ;D) can't hurt.  Only you can decide if you want to pull the trigger and build it yourself, but it sounds like the "old guy" didn't have Barry's book (another valuable resource).  Personally, I'm already planning my next build, gonna be looking for a '66 2 wheel drive pickup this winter to start it off.  Gotta do something with all my homeless FE parts. 

Lastly, sound advice from Bob, who could say he hasn't been on a roll lately ;D ;D ;D.  Of course, he won't be around when your wife sees the loan agreement :-\
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

SE2839

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 09:46:57 PM »
You can do what I did, get one of them credit cards with the low introductory rate and zero interest for a set term. Then call Barry and order one up and pay off the balance on the card before the interest charges begin. I am doing the same thing with my suspension upgrades and now my heads. Each time the money was available in savings but why use my money when I can use the banks for free. And the wife stays happy that way.

sixty3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 05:24:22 AM »
Lntstar didn't mean to hijak your thread either, just felt we were thinking the same thing.  Acutally I was just hoping for 12's if we can get into mid 11"s and still be streetable EVEN better.  I put more miles on the blacktop and enjoy driving to work and taking the long way home than the few weekends spent at the strip.   But when I leave the strip all my swollen head can think about is faster,faster, faster....

Lenz  we did have Berry's book, very helpful for me who enjoys learning and doing things twice or more.  I performed all the oiling mod's on the block.  Just always wonder how many other little secrets and tips that aren't in that book??  My thought process on spending the cash for a stroker was to pay the extra if anything else for security reasons and insurance with those that do it everyday. 

Will be fun and a sad day to see my $1k build die some day.   Like life its going to happen ( maybe ) just want to be ready for the next one, bigger and better.

Kevin

Lnstargalaxie64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »
Kevin know hijack taken I look forward to watching yalls builds. I have to admit Im still a little tempted to put my other Ford BB in it and build an Fe over time but Id like to just do it once. Then again the 390 based motor isnt my ultimate goal as I like every other Ford guy want a 427