Author Topic: TKO VS T56?  (Read 22232 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: TKO VS T56?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 03:16:17 PM »
You should be good to go then.  No having to fool with pivot ball studs, clutch fork to pressure plate clearance, throw out bearing to pressure plate clearance, etc.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »
Also of note, is that I have the Tremec T56 XL.  I believe the XL, when used with the quicktime Bellhousing, has the input shaft length problem. 
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
Which bell do you have?  FE to Viper T-56?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
Under what load conditions , weight of a said vehicle does tremec calculate torque capacity of a tko 500-600 or even a t-56 ..Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

fe66comet

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 06:09:10 PM »
That was my thought easier on the leg and no worries about linkage clearance around headers and such. The Tilton will handle the throw out chores in my case. The slave is already there with a remote reservoir. You could grab a Mustang, Ranger or full size pickup pedal assembly to make it happen or get a universal floor mount single pedal so you can leave your throttle and brake arrangements alone. Try S&W and see what they have.

BigNate

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »
Hey  BigNate what rpm / mph for cruising are you thinking ? , how tall a tire ? ..Bud

the T-56 really is a pipe-dream right now.  The car currently has 275-60 X 15's (about 28") on it and 3.89 gears going in.  This, with my 1:1 final drive in the C-6 will put me at about 3500 RPM @ 75mph - even with that fairly tall tire.  Cutting that in half (1750ish at freeway speeds) is the daydream.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:01:09 AM by BigNate »
Arrrrg.... LOL  My sig line everywhere else is somewhat political... Will that get me kicked?

BigNate

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 10:58:45 AM »
Can't really see the need for a T56 other than ultimate strength if you're going big power.  .50 gear is going to only pull 1700rpm running 70mph even with a 4.11, most any hotrod engine is going to be cammed where that is not really a good RPM to pull that much load. 

For me - the appeal of the .50 is exactly that.  Being able to run at less than 2000 rpm, over 70 mph.  It is a pure "loaf along the freeway" gear...  The intent is not to "pull hard through 6th" - and I suspect that just about anyone who would be looking at doing so would be is such rare air power wise (thinking about the hard core Bonneville or Texas Mile crowd)  that the T-56 would not be in the running as a race trans. 

As to the cam bit... not all "hot-rodders" make power with huge compression and 300 degrees of duration...  turbo's don't want a bunch of cam...    ;)

Just my 2 cents...

EDIT - When I read the cam sentence above I realized that it might come across as a bit snarky.  No offense intended - just noting that I'm not worried about having the necessary torque / engine manners at 1700 to maintain cruising speed... :-)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:03:54 AM by BigNate »
Arrrrg.... LOL  My sig line everywhere else is somewhat political... Will that get me kicked?

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 11:50:11 AM »
Gotcha, makes sense.  I initially was thinking limited applications, but then after thinking of all the late models pulling this kind of gear, started to see more possibilities as long as the engine pulls clean down there. 

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 07:40:27 PM »
I would think it would be important to stay within your cams rpm cruise range , mine is 2650-3050 and my 07 shelby s owners manual warned against lugging the motor , 6th gear was better used 80-85 mph and up .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

fe66comet

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »
I could see running a 4:10 or 4:56 with the higher sixth gear. But really I would rarely use it, we are not far enough out to go any more than 75 miles an hour and keep your license.

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 08:21:13 AM »
Can't really see the need for a T56 other than ultimate strength if you're going big power.  .50 gear is going to only pull 1700rpm running 70mph even with a 4.11, most any hotrod engine is going to be cammed where that is not really a good RPM to pull that much load. 

For me - the appeal of the .50 is exactly that.  Being able to run at less than 2000 rpm, over 70 mph.  It is a pure "loaf along the freeway" gear...  The intent is not to "pull hard through 6th" - and I suspect that just about anyone who would be looking at doing so would be is such rare air power wise (thinking about the hard core Bonneville or Texas Mile crowd)  that the T-56 would not be in the running as a race trans. 

As to the cam bit... not all "hot-rodders" make power with huge compression and 300 degrees of duration...  turbo's don't want need a bunch of cam...    ;)

Just my 2 cents...

EDIT - When I read the cam sentence above I realized that it might come across as a bit snarky.  No offense intended - just noting that I'm not worried about having the necessary torque / engine manners at 1700 to maintain cruising speed... :-)

I fixed it for you.  Turbos like big cams... just with lots of lobe separation.

http://www.prolineracing.net/classifieds/blog

I promise all these cars have HUGE cams in them.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 08:26:55 AM »
How does the T56 shift? I know the TKO shifts pretty well as this is an important question IMO as a clunky, slow shifting trans can kill a lot of speed-shifting fun.
Bob Maag

MustangGT

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 09:11:50 AM »
How does the T56 shift? I know the TKO shifts pretty well as this is an important question IMO as a clunky, slow shifting trans can kill a lot of speed-shifting fun.

I think the T56 Magnum shifts super smooth. Crisp and precise with a fairly long shifter. But I have no experience with the TKO so I can't compare.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »
Thanks!
Bob Maag

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »

I think the T56 Magnum shifts super smooth. Crisp and precise with a fairly long shifter. But I have no experience with the TKO so I can't compare.

I'm running a TKO600 and I think it shifts very slowly.  My previous trans were all nice, slick, toploaders or T5s though so that should give you some relative idea of what I mean.  I almost sent it off to Liberty before and may still do that, but for right now I'll have to just wait for the revs to drop when shifting.  The way Liberty explains it is that the T5 design was essentially beefed up all around to handle the expected torque load and this resulted in big beefy gears that take a while to slow down when up shifting and they have a few tricks for getting things to work together.