Author Topic: hood scoop for 1966 comet?  (Read 6598 times)

Jim Comet

• View Profile
hood scoop for 1966 comet?
« on: June 04, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »
I am going to put a scoop on my Comet. I really like the look of the Fairlane scoop at the leading edge of the hood but other than mounting a cowl induction scoop backwards I don't think I can do it, and that would probably end up looking horrid. I am therefore leaning towards the boss 429 scoop. My question is does anyone have suggestions or pictures of thier cars with scoops? I need 2 or 3 more inches of clearance to mount a taller air cleaner. This is a bracket only car. I want to keep the muscle car look, so a prostock or such scoop is not something I am considering at this time.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: hood scoop for 1966 comet?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:21:27 PM »
Jim, would a fiberglass '66 Fairlane hood fit?  If it would physically fit on the car you might be ahead of the game buying one of the aftermarket hoods with the scoop you like built in, and making whatever modifications were required to match up to the fenders and cowl.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
I had that thought also. Does anyone have any experience as to whether a failane hood will work on a comet?? Maybe with some mods? Jim

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 05:42:18 PM »
Not experienced with model year 66, but it is my observation that the 1967 Fairlane/Comet hood leading edges are somewhat different so suspect you are likely to have at least a slight mismatch.
Michael

frankenfords

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:04:34 PM »
Not experienced with model year 66, but it is my observation that the 1967 Fairlane/Comet hood leading edges are somewhat different so suspect you are likely to have at least a slight mismatch.

This is correct. Back in the early 90's, I lived in San Diego and there was a guy I used to run into from time to time, I think he worked at JBA? who had a 67 Ranchero with 66-67 Comet GT hood with the two scoops. It physically bolted up, but the leading edge was totally different.

Being a fiberglass piece, I'm sure that the leading edge of the Fairlane R-code style hood could be reworked to match the Comet fenders and grill.

Brett

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
I don't think I am that talented. I most likely will go with the Boss 429 scoop unless I am able to find something online to move me in another direction. Jim

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 06:11:41 PM »
Jim: maybe not your cup of tea from an aesthetic point if view, but the Ford high rise reverse teardrop is popular in many quarters and would give loads of clearance.  Crites could probably fix you up with something, can't hurt to have a chat with them.
Michael

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 08:37:51 PM »
I had a Fiberglass Comet hood I saved from the wrecker about a year ago. I had actually mocked it up on my 67 Fairlane. The comet hood fit surprisingly well but came down in the front about an extra inch so it did not line up with the edges of the fender on each side. Attached is a photo I found of the mismatch. I imagine if you tried to put a Fairlane hood on a Comet you'd have the the opposite issue.

GL

TomP

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:39:59 PM »
I don't think there is any other hood scoop that looks as good as the factory Cyclone fiberglass hood. I would do whatever it takes to make the engine fit underneath. In fact i am doing that with my 66 and my 64 to fit the stock twin scooped hoods. New lower intake, using the hood as the air cleaner lid with a foam seal on the element, whatever it takes.

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 03:56:16 AM »
That boss 429 scoop fits pretty good and doesn't look bad. On my 67 comet I wanted a scoop so I could run whatever intake ,carb spacer, or air cleaner combo I wanted .I bought my scoop from MAS a company that always had an ad in the back of the old super ford magazine .They sold different fiberglass scoops hoods. etc. It was a good quality piece around $75 about 2005 .The only thing negative is at the front of the scoop it doesn't exactly lie flat against the hood .Not a big deal to me .Mustangs and comet obviously have a lot different curvature as far as hoods go .If you didn't want a scoop I have had to cut the braces on the underside of the hood it will give you some additional clearance maybe "1/2-"3/4 .I have a 66 and a 67 comet .