Author Topic: B B M HEADS  (Read 43331 times)

bn69stang

• View Profile
B B M HEADS
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:53:03 PM »
Looks like we are about to take a  field trip to Denver in a couple of weeks to look at the new product , complete and bare . A hands on look at this new head in its stages , kind of excited to have a look at the new fe parts .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: B B M HEADS
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »
Looking forward to a report.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:49:43 AM »
I like 'em.  I've had 2 sets in here and they perform quite well, even with tiny valves.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 06:23:14 PM »
Did you get the complete heads , or bare ? did you do any porting at all ? what kind of flow numbers did you get out of them Brent  ?  .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 11:19:28 PM »
I like 'em.  I've had 2 sets in here and they perform quite well, even with tiny valves.

What? And no pictures or reports on them? Shame on you ;)

So is the stuff publicly available now? Seems first hand info is hard to come by and I haven't seen anything announced that they were available for sale yet except for the one guy who said he bought some parts directly from their warehouse.

I would really love to hear some feedback and see some detailed pictures of the chambers and ports.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »
Doug i have some pics to post when i get home , detail pics of the chamber , intake port , exhaust port and pics with gaskets in place . I have talked to Rob at blue oval in Denver several times in the past couple of weeks and i have ordered a set , they will ready for pick up by mid june and according to Rob they will flow 300 @ .700 lift , and come with a 2.15 intake and a 1.68 exhaust valve size s ..Bud

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 03:49:32 PM »
Hey Doug and Forum Members, here are the pics of the Heads
Hope this Helps!

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »
Heres the Final Two!

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 03:56:36 PM »
Those are some good looking holes.  :)

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 04:17:55 PM »
Im ready to try them out on my 428 Howie , Doug at blue oval got 15 pair , im number 4 on the list 2 weeks out and project re-vamp is underway .. Bud

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »
Doug, I posted numbers on the other forum.  I was getting almost 315 cfm out of a tiny 2.08 valve, no bowl work or port work.  Basically just pull them out of the box, do a valve job, blend in seats, etc. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

R-WEST

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »
Any idea on cost yet?

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »
I  was told by Rob at blue oval  1200.00 bare and  2300.00 as i ordered them , Bud

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 08:39:28 PM »
According to my info straight from BBM, the bare head pricing will be $1350 per pair.  At this time, there are no plans to offer a "complete" BBM head FROM BBM.  The plan is to sell the heads bare, and any and all finish work pricing would be decided between the buyer of the heads, and whoever does that finish work.  Some BBM dealers will be folks who can offer the service of taking the bare heads from that point to various stages of finished heads.   

I am doing some testing for BBM now.  I have a pair of the heads here.  I will have info and opinions very soon.  I plan to do some very thorough testing, and will be able to offer my opinion and conservative flow results very soon.  As some may know, if a head flows good here on my bench, it will flow better other places.  I do not know the numbers yet, but I will put my seat work on the heads, with no work further down than 1/2-inch below the seat, and share the results fair and honest, for all to see, on this forum.

From what I see so far, I like what I am looking at.  As cast and sold, the exhaust throat can accept 1.57 diameter valves if desired for small bore apps, or with an exhaust bowl cut and valvejob they can accept the larger valves.  The intake bowl, as cast, will do well with 2.15 or larger valves.  A person would not want to use an intake valve smaller than 2.15........BUT........the valve placement will compliment the use of a 2.15 diameter, even on very small bores. 

As soon as I have some accurate info I will post it.  Bare BBM heads are available now.
Blair Patrick

RobMcQ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
Quick Note: The bare head price IS $1350.00/pr, as was listed in the large post on the FE Forum Classifieds back on April 2nd.
Bud and I were focused on assembled heads during our discussion, and how best to match them to his engine. The bare head
price was just misremembered.
As stated, BBM will only supply bare castings (w/seats, guides & time-serts). Finish work needed on the heads: hone guides, cut valve job, minor blend bottom of valve job cut to bowl, measure chamber cc to determine if it matches customer target (Volume will vary slightly with depth of valve job cut and style of valve head), clean and blueprint assemble.

Rob McQuarie
Blue Oval Performance
(our e-mail as listed here on the Forum is out of date, as we cannot correct it: blueovalperf at gmail.com)