Author Topic: The Road to Drag Week 2014 - May 4  (Read 19243 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
The Road to Drag Week 2014 - May 4
« on: May 04, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »
This week I put together a detailed schedule of what I have to do to get the engine finished up and on the dyno, and the car back together and running by the end of June.  As usual, it looks do-able, and as usual the plan will probably go out the window as soon as something unexpected goes wrong.  However, I'm going to try to hang with it as much as possible; this year I've just GOT to get to the track a few times before the event.  This week I got the great news that my friend Steve, who went with me at Drag Weeks 2005 and 2006, was able to get his vacation for the week approved, so he is going with me this year for Drag Week #10.  We plan to hit the track together several times before the event.

Back to the engine work, one of the upgrades this year is addition of a dry sump system, with the result that at all times when the engine is running, the pressure in the crankcase is going to be lower than atmospheric.  This means that the seals will have to be in the engine backwards, because part of the way the seal works is to use the higher pressure in the crankcase to force the seal lip against the crankshaft.  With the vacuum from the dry sump in the crankcase, the pressure differential is reversed, so the seal has to be reversed.  So, on Saturday this week I got to work flipping the rear main seal around.  On the Shelby blocks the fit between the caps and the block is really tight, so you have to use a slide hammer to get the caps loose.  Here's a photo of the slide hammer attached to the rear main cap as I'm pulling it out of the block:

After I got the cap off I tried without success to push on the end of the seal that was already installed, but it wouldn't budge.  So, I ended up loosening the remaining four main caps so that I could pry the rear of the crank up just a little bit, and rotate the seal out of place.  Then, I reversed it and stuck it back into the groove.  It took me an hour to get all the caps loose, and 30 seconds to reverse the seal  ::)  I reset and retorqued caps 1-4, and now I just have to install the rear main cap later today (with its seal half reversed also), and then this little job is finished up.  The front seal will be much easier, of course, because the timing cover is already removed from the engine.

During the week this week I had taken the few spare moments that I had and finished welding up the oil pan, to convert it to work with the dry sump system.  This is undoubtably the world's ugliest dry sump pan:

This is actually the third iteration of this oil pan.  I ran this originally in my Galaxie, where it was a rear sump pan to clear the front-steer rack that I have installed in that car.  Then, when I swapped the motor into my Shelby clone, I had to modify the pan extensively, in order to fit around the rear-steer rack setup that is installed in that car.  Both of those installations were wet sumps, so this time I had to cut the oil pan down while still keeping it set up to fit around the rack, and add the fittings and pickups for the dry sump lines.  It was a major pain, and I'm definitely not happy with the appearance of this thing.  Further, I haven't leaked checked it yet and I will still have to do that and weld up any problem areas, so its only going to get uglier.  But if it works, and doesn't leak in the car, I guess I'll be satisfied with it.

After the seal swapping episode yesterday, today I tackled disassembly of the cylinder heads.  As mentioned last week I wanted to get rid of the Ferrea valves and install the Manleys that flowed so much better.  I've been doing my own cylinder head setup on these engines for several years now; here's a picture of the valve spring compressor set up on one of the heads:

The spring compressor is a standard one that has been modified to fit in the tight confines of the SOHC heads.  After getting all the valves removed I also had to remove the valve seals, spring seats, and shims, because the new springs I wanted to use with the new cams for this engine were a little heavier than the Comp 943 springs that these heads were originally set up with, and would require different shims.  I was planning to use the Comp 26099 springs. I had gone to the trouble of sending an SOHC head with one of the new cams to Bill Conley last year, so that he could run it on his spintron machine and check for valvetrain stability.  Bill ran it with both the 943 springs and the 26099 springs, and the 943 springs just couldn't hack it with the new cam.  But the 26099 springs looked good.  I have a set of new 26099 springs here that I purchased for use with another set of SOHC heads that were built by Dove (the 26099 springs fit on the Dove heads), so I grabbed those and started to get set up to install them.  Right away, I discovered a problem.  These heads, which are Coon heads, only have the valve pockets machined for a maximum spring diameter of 1.55", and the 26099 springs are 1.63" in diameter.  So, my hopes for getting the heads completely assembled this weekend have gone out the window. 

I have two options here.  One is to take the heads in to my local shop and get the spring pockets opened up to 1.63".  The other option is to buy a set of springs that will fit the heads, like the Comp 26115 springs, that have about the same specifications for open and closed load as the 26099 springs.  The problem there is that I'll be out $800 to buy springs, retainers, and spring seats.  Also, I have a couple of sets of the 26099 springs, plus extra retainers, and having spare valvetrain parts during Drag Week is a big plus.  So, I think I'm going to see if I can get the heads cut for the 26099 springs quickly; if there is a delay on this, then I'll have to buy the new springs and retainers.

With the heads completely bare I went to the next task, which I have to say required some intestinal fortitude.  Here is a picture:

You kind of hate to drill a big hole in a set of heads that you've got $7500 in between the price of the castings and all the porting work!  But my dry sump setup is a six stage, and it needs a scavenge line connected to the back of each cylinder head.  So, after drilling the hole, I tapped it for a 3/8" pipe thread.  Here's a picture showing the fitting temporarily screwed into place:

After that was done I thoroughly cleaned each head to get rid of all the old sealer and any remaining traces of metal shavings; here they are, ready for a quick trip to the machine shop:

I'll find out Monday if I can get the valve pockets cut in time, or if I need to go to the other set of springs.

Saturday night was my daughter's junior prom, and last night while at the dance she texted me asking for photos of my Shelby clone.  Obviously, she was trying to impress some young man at the dance LOL!.  I dug up some pictures from Drag Week 2011 and sent them to her.  I had forgotten how nice the car looked back then; I will post the pictures below, and come back to this thread for motivational purposes when my enthusiasm for the project starts to flag ;D  All the pictures below were taken by Kyle Loftis at 1320 Video:

Now, its back to a little custom intake adapter work...

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:31:08 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: The Road to Drag Week 2014 - May 4
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »
When I grow up ....................... :)
Meanwhile, I'll just hang on every word.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
Thats a realy beautyful car 8) 8) 8)
I hope you make it to dragweek this
year and win

P.s If you ever run out of trunkmonkeys
just pm me and i bee there ;D ;D ;D D.s
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:06:17 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
you could have done worse on the welding :P

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 05:41:10 PM »
Hmmm, I guess so  ;D  You know what I like about seeing that kind of stuff, though?  It means that somebody is doing it themselves, rather than paying somebody else to do it for them.  That is part of the hot rodding mentality that I can really respect.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

afret

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
Super nice car and great photos too.  Hope things go smoothly for you this year. 

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 08:47:56 PM »
If that kid has any brains, he would marry your daughter! ;D ;D

As for the lackluster welding, I don't think anybody will ever see it. When the car has a Cammer in it, the only time somebody will be on their knees is when they're bowing :)

So how do you turn the front seal around? The rear crank seal is easy enough, but the front seal is different, at least on conventional FEs, and I think the Cammer uses the same type pressed in metal/rubber seal doesn't it?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 08:52:05 PM »
Gotta love the sight of that Cammer sitting in there!  What color is it painted?  Is it a Ford color, say Acapulco blue?  I'm sure the car will clean up and look every bit as good in the winners circle this year.

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »

So how do you turn the front seal around? The rear crank seal is easy enough, but the front seal is different, at least on conventional FEs, and I think the Cammer uses the same type pressed in metal/rubber seal doesn't it?

Same front seal for the SOHC.  You just take a new seal and pound it in there backwards.  Just got to be careful you don't bend it...
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
Gotta love the sight of that Cammer sitting in there!  What color is it painted?  Is it a Ford color, say Acapulco blue?  I'm sure the car will clean up and look every bit as good in the winners circle this year.

Bruce

The color is Gulfstream Aqua, which was a factory color for Mustangs in 1969.  Unfortunately, the paint I used (PPG Omni) is a low solids paint, and the color isn't as deep as I wanted it.  It wasn't clear that was the case until the car came out of the booth.  I should have put on at least another couple of base coats.  Here's a picture of a car showing what it should look like:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:15:40 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 10:51:55 PM »
Gulfstream Aqua is what my car was originally also. It is a BEAUTIFUL color, but very hard to get "just right"! And pictures rarely do it justice. It has to be seen in person and in the sun to get the real beauty of it.

I chose an "off brand" color that was very very close to the original Ford color because Gulfstream Aqua was not available in the Deltron base/clear when I did my car. It has a bunch of pearl in it and in pictures looks very blue and darkish. But when it's in the sun it really lightens and "pops" like the original Aqua, but in pictures still looks blue and dark.

Funny story, while looking for the right color for my car, a lady drove by in a then new car and the color immediately hit me that THATS the one. So I took off after her in my beat up F-250 Highboy. I chased her for about 4 miles before she eventually stopped in a parking lot where she worked. I pulled up and said "This is going to sound very strange....but can I look inside your trunk?" She just stared at me not knowing how to react and I'm actually surprised she did not turn screaming and run to call the police...lol  But I then explained to her about my car and told her that her paint code was in the trunk. She was happy to help then and we had a laugh about it. Turned out she only lived 1 mile from me.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 03:35:57 AM »
 ;D ;D Me to have chased a car to get the paint code Dough ;D ;D
Feels fine to not bee the only one ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 04:37:24 AM »
Now your going to have some goof sniffing around for two things Dad.
Neither one will make you happy. ::)

Stick to the plan, Stick to the plan, that's what I keep telling myself, then self changes the plan and it all goes for a crap. ;)
Good luck Jay.

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 08:58:47 AM »
Last time I asked to see inside a woman's trunk, I got a black eye! Of course she wasn't driving at the time. Maybe that where I went wrong :o
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 09:04:24 AM »
Jay, It's good see the Shelby getting some TLC. Are you gong to put the stripes on it?

It's good that your daughter is  showing your car to the guys, maybe she will find a motor head to date. My son is dating a chick from Buffalo, so he had prom Saturday too. I was working on my hot rod all day, the rushed over to the school to see the grand march, but due to parking and getting lost, I missed it.   

Let me know when you are going to the track, I'll try to make it as well. If my hot rod is ready.

This is going to be an awesome Drag week,