Author Topic: Getting air to the monster  (Read 9880 times)

fe468stroker

• View Profile
Getting air to the monster
« on: April 30, 2014, 02:38:22 PM »
Hello all - new to this forum.  I have a '68 Mustang with a Genesis 468 CID with Blue Thunder 2 X 4 intake and BC/BD Holleys.  My question is how can I get enough air to the carbs running a stock hood.  A 2" K&N filter will not do it and that is the tallest filter I can run with the oval air cleaner.  Currently have a 6" filter and Boss 9 scoop which does away with the sleeper look but supplies more than enough air.  There has to be a way to do it with the little space available.  Thanks in advance.  Also kudos to Jay for all his hard work providing information on the FE.

afret

Re: Getting air to the monster
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
How about a '67 Shelby style hood that fits the regular Mustang fenders?  Doesn't stick out like the boss scoop and less obvious but according to this video, it gives 1 3/4" more clearance.  I think places like NPD and Mustangs Unlimited sells these type hoods. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54oeVky2Ug

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »
Could you run one of the top hats designed for forced induction and run something similar to a modern cold air intake

something like this

fe468stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 03:44:01 PM »
Actually that is what I was leaning towards.  Where would a person look for the forced air induction setups?

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »
Modify the oval air cleaner base you use currently so it drapes down over the carbs. Take a look at serious racing Air Cleaner Assemblies as run in NASCAR. Note how they drape the housing base over the carb and channel the intake stream carefully into the carb. Where hood clearances are tight they run really tall intake manifolds and 4-5 inch tall filters - but of course you can't see the pretty carb(s). Then think about finding a single tall element or stacking a pair of stock elements or a combo
Toss that washable filter in the trash!

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »
I don't know, might just be me, but I kinda like when you have more engine than hood. ;D ;D ;D

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
Toss that washable filter in the trash!

No way giddy up!
I'm going to buy another one with even bolder colour. ::) ::) ::)

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 06:57:07 AM »
Scoop it!

Secondary benefit is that it lets heat out when idling around.  It was a tough decision for me, but in the end, there is no downside.  Makes you feel like a bad-ass, motor runs cooler, and you can add as much filter as the motor needs to let it breathe deep

Although mine looked clean, I like it much better with a scoop

Maybe something like this

or I hate to say it, Eleanor or even cowl inductions ... I don't love the Eleanor hoods, but dig the cowl induction look, but you have to defend yourself against the haters :)

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 07:18:59 AM »
Teardrop Baby!!!
Nothing says FE more than a Teardrop. ;D

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »
I wonder if the stock oval air cleaner is actually limiting you. I've seen several dyno instances where it changed air/fuel ratios running the air cleaner vs. without, but that didn't always translate into HP or ET gains. Have you tried running it with the air cleaner off?

Regardless, any way to get cooler fresh air to the engine would help. That can only be done with a ducted system or sealed to an aftermarket or Shelby type hood with a scoop. Then it's just a matter of preference.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »
Any good ideas on how to scoop a 61 galaxie?

I don't really like the teardrop   i'm thinking about rollin some sheet metal through the english wheel  and  basically making a cowl that has no sharp bend at either end so it just raises up the hood 2-3" in the middle  while keeping a stock ish  shape to it?

I think they call it a "power dome"  on the 01 r code.

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 01:23:31 PM »
My mild 427 will not run with the oval air cleaner on it.It just runs like it has a potato up its ass.I made a air bucket for it and put a 14 inch hipo style round air cleaner inside it.I also have/had a real Boss 429 scoop..The combo worked well.I have sold the big dollar Boss scoop and will be going back to the Cougar Eliminator one but I don't expect any problems...
I have yet to figure out how to post pics here..I am trying a photobucket link here.....

http://s297.photobucket.com/user/427Fastback/media/1968%20Fastback/427Fastback_d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=34
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 02:26:26 PM »
Glad you said that 427Fastback! It triggered the memory that a fellow racer's '67 or '68 Stang of yore with the OEM ford dual fours also ran out of air before 1/2 track. My bro' talked him into yanking the oval air cleaner off (stock hood btw) and it did pickup at the top end.

IIRC, I don't think one can run anything but the short height oval, on duals, unless the hood has a scoop of bump. The Y-shaped metal or plastic units depicted above look way too small, short over the carb and also would seem to only offer a 90 degree dropoff into the carb's venturi area. 

Long ago, Chevy engineers (jesh, gotta stop that stuff here...LOL!) tested on a Holley for the best low profile air cleaner for Vettes and found that the L-88 design base was the absolute best for a smooth radius, an easy bending of the airflow over the venturis while offering max airflow. Today, many aftermarket bases (and tops) closely match this design. Base pic below..................   

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/l88-air-cleaner

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:35:09 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

fe468stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »
Ross, you may have changed my mind about changing anything.  In the past I have gotten some flack for putting the oversized Boss 9 scoop on it but it works well with the 6" tall filter.  Was looking for a sleeper look for it but the exhaust gives it away anyway.  The top hats just look like they won't supply enough air for 1430 worth of CFM and the cost of trying a complete system and finding out I am no better off is prohibitive.  I have a monster so it might as well look like one and I can back it up quick, fast and in a hurry. ;)