Author Topic: Tremeck T56 magnum  (Read 14835 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Tremeck T56 magnum
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 10:01:42 PM »
Pretty sure that 7000 HP top fuel Hemis are crossbolted.  Splayed caps are a good solution for a block without a skirt, but I agree with Howie that cross-bolting is better. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

fe66comet

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 09:24:59 AM »
4.6 and LSI are junk blocks to begin with, your only option over 800 or so is a very expensive aftermarket. Also the modular block is a far departure from any older design so it is a apple to orange comparison. Either way a $8000 Pond block only handles 1300 HP, a stock 427 side oiler handles about 1000 so the mains are still a limiting factor as is the block itself. I just would like a company like World or Dart to build a block that was the next step up. Also then it would be affordable and be a much stronger part. Some other options like a tall deck or bigger mains would be nice along with thicker rails.

LuxurySportCoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »
4.6 and LSI are junk blocks to begin with, your only option over 800 or so is a very expensive aftermarket. Also the modular block is a far departure from any older design so it is a apple to orange comparison. Either way a $8000 Pond block only handles 1300 HP, a stock 427 side oiler handles about 1000 so the mains are still a limiting factor as is the block itself. I just would like a company like World or Dart to build a block that was the next step up. Also then it would be affordable and be a much stronger part. Some other options like a tall deck or bigger mains would be nice along with thicker rails.

The early 4.6 blocks are far from junk, the factory teksid aluminum 4.6 blocks ('93-'98 Mark VIII and '96-'98 Cobra) can handle over 1500 hp. That's with factory 4v heads as well (heavily ported). I'm not too familiar with the LS junk though, so 800 hp may be the limit for those.

1964 Galaxie 390 cruise-o-matic. 445 and C6 coming soon.

cammerfe

• View Profile
LS chibrolay power
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »
If you'll make a quick trip over to Yellow Bullet, you'll find a massive number of threads that all'll tell you a junk-yard LS engine will make over 800 horsepower with nothing more than a cam change. (I think you must do the cam work with your eyes crossed or you won't be able to find that much power, though!)   :o ::) ;) ;)

KS

fe66comet

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 11:40:08 AM »
I have done work on LS and 4.6 engines, very expensive to build and the initial cast is a huge investment. The engines that are already set up for a build you will not find in a junk yard anywhere around here, Boss Mustangs and Cadillac Escalades do not make it to a junk yard. Body shops  buy them out from insurance companies and resell them. Or you find the vehicle parted out on EBay one bolt and lug nut at a time.

TomP

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure the factory side oiler block is more of an issue at 1000hp than the Pond block would be at 1500.

Dart small blocks are $2600? A friend paid $1700 for his.

fe66comet

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
The small block Motown with 9.5 deck , 351 Cleveland mains,  4 bolt steel caps, 9.5 deck, one piece rear seal and completely redesigned oiling ( not just modified). Also thicker deck , rails, walls, webbing,  jackets and Siamesed bores. All that bang for $2700.00 bucks. The best Pond has a lot less for three times more. Even the same block in a 460 is less than $4000,00. That is very reasonable for a true race block that can handle about anything you throw at it without block fill. I fully agree that Dart, World, or even Ford Performance can make a good part that is reasonably priced. That was my point exactly, so much more could be done for a whole lot less than $8000.00 bucks in a FE Block.

LuxurySportCoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 06:51:29 PM »
The small block Motown with 9.5 deck , 351 Cleveland mains,  4 bolt steel caps, 9.5 deck, one piece rear seal and completely redesigned oiling ( not just modified). Also thicker deck , rails, walls, webbing,  jackets and Siamesed bores. All that bang for $2700.00 bucks. The best Pond has a lot less for three times more. Even the same block in a 460 is less than $4000,00. That is very reasonable for a true race block that can handle about anything you throw at it without block fill. I fully agree that Dart, World, or even Ford Performance can make a good part that is reasonably priced. That was my point exactly, so much more could be done for a whole lot less than $8000.00 bucks in a FE Block.

Exactly, if FE blocks were cheaper, I'd definitely be building a 482+ rather than a 445. I hate being stuck with a 4.080 bore. It's a vicious circle though, Dart, etc. doesn't build FE blocks probably because of low demand compared to a sbf or bbf, but in turn, less people build FE's because there are fewer options for parts suppliers, and those few options cost significantly more.

1964 Galaxie 390 cruise-o-matic. 445 and C6 coming soon.

fe66comet

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 07:43:50 PM »
I think the good stuff will come along as with the Tremek kit, as I said last year it could only be done custom. Now everything is off the shelf. The fact that big companies are recognizing demand still give me hope on a reasonable priced FE block. Ten years ago the engine was truck engine and race parts were limited to NOS factory stuff.

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 02:08:21 PM »
I think the whole argument is kind of silly.  Why would one want to seriously race an engine that hasn't been manufactured in performance guise since 1970 and was obsolete then?  If you're going to go so far as to change the architecture of the engine then just go with a better option.  Really, the thing that makes the FE is it's history.  If you open your hood and what stares back at you doesn't even look like an FE any more, then what's the point?  You might as well put one of those 600 cube Boss 9s from Kaase in it.  You could definitely make (a lot) more power and the eye candy factor would be off the chart.  If you want an FE, then it's most likely for the nostalgia.  Where do you stop the mods before it's not an FE anymore?

BTW, I'd love for Jon to join me and my kit car for a jaunt through some nice mountain passes with his Comet.    8)

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 02:14:24 PM »
A crisp autumday in a Cobra on a Winding road 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;
I can Think of way worse ways to spend my time ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

fe66comet

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 03:05:59 PM »
To each his own, I like building unique engines. Anyone can build a small block Chevy but a FE as I found out through my project is a bit more complicated. While I am modernizing many aspects of my engine it is still easily decernable as an FE with only the EFI intake, front belt drive and water pump being a modified appearance. The car itself will have a modernized tech look but still be retaining the classic lines and be fully functional. I can drive in cool weather, rain and on hot days comfortably. The vehicle will also be legal to run on the track so it is not just a cruiser. I never really have been much of a kit car fan, I do like custom hot rods and cars when they are done with some taste and style. If I were to build a kit style car it would be a 23T steel body pickup with a flathead, Strombergs, Offy heads, model a rear end and steel moon wheels. Basically a hot rod copycat from the early 50s in s simplistic form.

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
To each his own...

I'm trying to hide all my goodies as best as possible.... For example  my aluminum block is etched and painted blue lol... Other than the side oiler bulge my giant modified 352 air cleaner housing covers up the majority of my efi fuel rails. Most of the fancy stuff will be hidden.. Dizzy cap is black ecu and such is under the dash wide bands are under the car in the collectors.  It's all there if you are looking for it but in a stock interiored galaxie with a subtle cage... I'm hoping most people think it's a mild resto mod that someone put a cage in... Not someone who needs to have his chassis re certified every 3 years...

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »
That's kind of what I was alluding to.  Mine is stroked, bored and injected as well but you really can't tell from the outside.

fe66comet

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »
I started that way but the engine out grew the car. The 66 Comet is a little flimsy at the get go. Someday I would like to get a 54 pick up and make a sleeper out of it. The Comet body had taken some hits in the front so the core support was mangled and the car had been used hard with a stick 390 so everything suspention and drive train wise was worn out.I received the car in barely running condition and nothing matched so I decided to take a tech approach with the original parts as a baseline. The interior I would like to go with a retro road race look, the exterior I am keeping the stock classic lines but the drive train will be completely modernized with a EFI trick flow intake, t56 trans and four link  Curry Fabricated rear end. That is the surprise end of things.