Author Topic: Tremeck T56 magnum  (Read 14839 times)

fe66comet

Tremeck T56 magnum
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »
When I was looking for a bell housing and all that a year ago for my 445 all I could get was custom made stuff. Now Tremec makes the input in 10 or 26 spline and Lakewood makes the bell housing. I guess all the Cobra kit cars are good for something.

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
Re: Tremeck T56 magnum
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:43 PM »
Quicktime makes a two bellhousings for T56 Magnums to bolt up to an FE.  One for an LS style Magnum, one for the Ford style. 

fe66comet

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:25:41 AM »
It sure did not take long, I am amazed at the almost overnight rise in FE popularity. Almost like the new SB Chevy kind of popularity.

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »
Sure is nice! Now if we could get competitive pricing on stuff like billet cranks and rods etc, that would only fuel the fire more. I wonder why edelbrock doesn't offer his pro port fe head in a finished package with a kunts style runner that flows 415+ and call it a super victor?
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

fe66comet

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:35:41 AM »
A decent injected intake would be cool too or a true four bolt main with splayed caps.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
????
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
You know that you can buy a really nice and strong 4 bolt mains FE block if you want.
I wouldn't say over night, but about 15 years.
When Vic started to sell the alum heads that really opened up the development.
You can build a complete aftermarket Ford FE power system. Engine, Trans and Rear Axle.
It is pretty Kool.

fe66comet

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »
I thought all afertermarket blocks were cross bolted? A good splayed cap block would be awesome but of course out of reach for most. All new blocks seem to be  $5000.00 up. All the rest has always been around in aftermarket drive train wise. I really can't understand why you would want a top loader or Jerico unless you are doing a restoration. Curry has had remake housing for ever for the rodder and restoration guys, just like the originals.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »
A couple of things.
A new iron block is about $3600US, which is still a good deal.
A Jerico is a race gear box and will not explode after repeated clutch dumps at 5000 RPM.
Your T56 Magnum will.
Might be great street or road box, but it is not a drag box.
The TL is a great street box and will never be matched by any thing built after it.
It was used in the koolest cars ever made.
I actually have a rather old Currie housing, maybe 20 years old. And know quite a bit about their history.
I bought a new Currie maybe 7 or 8 years ago. just saying.

Cross bolting will always be superior to splay bolting.

And yes I have enough aftermarket parts to assemble a complete FE power system. :P

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »
My block is cross bolted.

Cross bolted with a true 4 bolt main would be awesome tho.

My crank and rods are billet (machined forgings) from crower I wasn't offended at the price.
No more than their bbc setup was.

^why do you claim cross bolted is better ?

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »
"^why do you claim cross bolted is better ?"

Splay bolting is used on shallow blocks, ie: where the crank sits half way at the pan rail.
It is done to prevent cap walk from side to side.

Cross bolting is only available on deep skirt blocks where the crank sits up inside the block, ie: the FE
It is a much stronger and if you look at most of the HiPo stuff today they have gone to deep skirt and cross bolt.

fe66comet

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 05:49:43 PM »
Why then are the 3000 HP plus engines splayed, and yes I know they are. Also formula one engines are. Cross bolted prevents end walk but does nothing for side walking, the obvious answer is a thicker web and siamesed bores along with a splayed cap much like the heavy World, Brodix, Dart ect. blocks in Ford, Chevy and Dodge configurations. The FE block itself is much like the Buick 455 or the Cadillac 472-501, they were big so weight was a concern as was size.

LuxurySportCoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 06:05:03 PM »
I still don't consider $3600 a good deal for a block, when you can get dart sbf blocks for $2600. Not that I'd abandon an FE to build a lame Windsor, but I'm just saying.

1964 Galaxie 390 cruise-o-matic. 445 and C6 coming soon.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 07:41:43 PM »
For $2600 you get no history or mystic.
Even a good looking/working 390 will still turn a few heads.

Jon if the FE is so low on your ladder why are you working on one?

fe66comet

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 08:42:27 PM »
It is not low on my ladder but rather high. Some of my favorite cars are the Buick GS 455 Stage II, AMC AMX 390 Go Pack, 68 Shelby Mustang 427 and any Willy's either civilian or military. I just wish the aftermarket would take the next step like Kenne Bell did with the Buick. The FE has made a huge come back of which I was trying to illustrate with the availability of the Tremac T56, this transmission represents the future. Soon modifications like bigger gears, gear eliminated kits hardened shafts and other parts will carry that trans to well over 2000 HP as it is already doing duty behind the big threes over 800 HP club. Heads are starting to catch up to technology with the middle or the road Vic heads to Barry's Felony head and Blue Thunders offerings. But once again the bottom end has not made any large departures from stock. I have always believed in the unique and underdog cars so the FE with it's new found popularity with many who weren't even born to see it in the family wagon will embrace it eventually just from it's heritage just as 426 Hemi, 440 Wedge, Rat and Mouse, 427 and 428 CJ, Boss and other names are still uttered in the garage. It never goes away just sleeps to be refound.

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 09:21:39 PM »
"^why do you claim cross bolted is better ?"

Splay bolting is used on shallow blocks, ie: where the crank sits half way at the pan rail.
It is done to prevent cap walk from side to side.

Cross bolting is only available on deep skirt blocks where the crank sits up inside the block, ie: the FE
It is a much stronger and if you look at most of the HiPo stuff today they have gone to deep skirt and cross bolt.

The new engines are deep skirt 4 bolt with cross bolts in aluminum