Author Topic: Mufflers  (Read 24450 times)

drdano

• View Profile
Re: Mufflers
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 09:46:52 AM »
I've got 2.5" Porter steel-packs on my wagon and I do like the sound.  With the x-pipe I'm running, it does sound a tad more modern than I'd like, but they sound decent. 

fe66comet

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 10:03:16 AM »
Never used apple but about everything else. Even stainless eventually fails after so long behind a set of headers and a high compression engine. A lot of heat ends up trapped in the case and they just cook.

Bad Byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »
This is what true race mufflers are for, Shoenfield, Burns stainless etc. What one perceives as high compression either does not know what high compression is or the car that has it isnt driven all the time and heat isnt as big of an issue as one might think!

I realize there are times when a muffler is bolted directly to a header, but on a street car this is bad exhaust engineering...............and one should actually inquire someone smarter then them to build a proper exhaust system to stop them from making that mistake to begin with. JMHO!

fe66comet

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
WOW I am glad I have you to call me stupid LOL I have been building street, dirt and drag cars since the mid 70s with my fathers sprint car. Funny thing I seem to get real numbers that others do not think possible. I guess this is a case of mistaken identity you mistook me as some one who cares for your opinion.

Bad Byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 12:02:51 PM »
LOL

Sorry you took that as me calling you stupid, I dont have your yrs of experience that part i wont argue...........I only go back 25 yrs. here is what I do know.............there are all kinds of bad engineered race cars out there, and there are many high dollar, high end race cars with millions of dollars backing them. If you really want the low down on how to build something I would start there.

I learn things all the time, no matter what experience level I have, and I try never to spend my money on R&D when that trial and error has already been done!

So please dont take offense to my words via key board they are not meant for disrespect but more for enlightening ones eyes. I dont claim to know all, but what I do know is I dont want you or anyone here to have to hear about how I have been building cars and bikes for 25 yrs and I get more out of my stuff then anyone could imagine...................probably isnt real relevant.

Example is I have seen a guy get 225 HP out of a Yugo.................I dont about you but that didnt impress me all that much i mean it was a Yugo!

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »
Ah, muffler threads...always end up with people's choices being called into question, harsh words and hurt feelings.  T'was ever thus.   ;)

I guess this isn't the place to say that, as a someone early-on raised on the old Thrush glasspaks, for the last 20 years I've been a happy Flowmaster customer.  :)

But then again, as others have said previously, it's an extremely subjective topic.

I do LOVE the sound of the FE.
Michael

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »
What one perceives as high compression either does not know what high compression is or the car that has it isnt driven all the time....

...............and one should actually inquire someone smarter then them to build a proper exhaust system to stop them from making that mistake to begin with. JMHO!

Hey now....play nice :)
I've been around cars since I was born, helping my Dad work on them since I could walk. 47 years in all. But no matter my "level" of experience, there is always something to be gained or appreciated from other peoples experiences. And there are a lot of guys here who have been doing this for longer than I've been alive. I try to appreciate everyones opinion, and they're all different. That's whats so cool about cars, you build them the way YOU want, not what somebody else says it should be. I'm usually outside the norm. It's just my nature.

Ah, muffler threads...always end up with people's choices being called into question, harsh words and hurt feelings.  T'was ever thus.   ;)

I guess this isn't the place to say that, as a someone early-on raised on the old Thrush glasspaks, for the last 20 years I've been a happy Flowmaster customer.  :)

But then again, as others have said previously, it's an extremely subjective topic.

I do LOVE the sound of the FE.

Exhaust choice is definitely subjective. But I have never heard an FE I didn't like :)
That's why I like the YouTube videos. Great for listening to different combinations and deciding what you like for yourself. They are an excellent helpmate in deciding for yourself.

I also like the old glasspack sound, as well as Flowmaster (and they're about as different as you can get). My Flowmaster 40s that I've had for the last 10 years sounded good to me, but in my case they droned pretty badly. Some systems don't. My pipes stop at the rear axle though and that made it much worse.

But I still say, without a doubt, that the best sounding systems are open headers ;D ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fe66comet

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »
I am out not worth it got better things to do like work on my car TTYL.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »

Exhaust choice is definitely subjective. But I have never heard an FE I didn't like :)

Gotta agree.  As someone who currently owns a strong MOD motor (5.4L, 600+ HP in my Ford GT), and a plethora of bigger, more powerful FEs, there is no comparison.  The FEs just sound a whole lot better.  I guess it just depends on what you like...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 05:32:56 PM »
I remember there was some muflers you replaced the
collectors with in the early 90s
a friend had a couple home with him from USA
They were some prototypes but they where
sceduled for production  soon after
But i havent Heard of them after that

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

plovett

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 07:54:30 PM »
I wish you guys could hear my 428 at 7000 rpm with 2" Crites headers, 3-1/2" collectors, 3-1/2" x-pipe, 3-1/2" Dynomax Bullets, and 3-1/2" turndowns.    Sounds like a crack is opening up in the Earth and the world is ending.  Makes me smile every time.   :)

paulie

67 Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
Love the sound of a strong Fe listening to the exhaust pulses and walking past feeling the pulses . Custom headers 3inch stainless with X pipe 4 custom stainless mufflers straight through with stainless wool packing . Best sounding car I have heard lately is the gold 427 67 mustang with Holman Moody signage on it .

Bad Byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 12:58:54 AM »

Gotta agree.  As someone who currently owns a strong MOD motor (5.4L, 600+ HP in my Ford GT), and a plethora of bigger, more powerful FEs, there is no comparison.  The FEs just sound a whole lot better.  I guess it just depends on what you like...

This was my reason for the "Subjective statement" I would take a finely tuned Cammed Mod motor exhaust note all day long over any FE motor. That refined high pitch sound of the exhaust mixed with a blower whine or a Turbo just screams overall performance!

Now I do appreciate that old school Rump on a old school car as well, but just like that old school car comes old school overall performance. I guess I am just more of a technology guy then a old school carbed big inch high compression strait line thumper type of guy. But the good thing is I do like them all, I just like that 1000 HP street car that I can drive to work every day if I choose too, that will go around a corner well, brake well as well as accelerate well!

When I was deciding the direction of the Bad Byrd I was so torn between keeping the car old school with a FE or slamming my Stroked DOHC blower motor in there.........................I still wonder if I made the right decision! I have 800 HP just sitting there, and 450 to 500 with the FE..........makes you wonder.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2014, 01:14:51 AM »
This was my reason for the "Subjective statement" I would take a finely tuned Cammed Mod motor exhaust note all day long over any FE motor.

When I was deciding the direction of the Bad Byrd I was so torn between keeping the car old school with a FE or slamming my Stroked DOHC blower motor in there.........................I still wonder if I made the right decision! I have 800 HP just sitting there, and 450 to 500 with the FE..........makes you wonder.

Only makes me wonder why you are here.

Grbmaverickmo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 09:23:32 AM »
Wow I really didn`t think this would open a can off worms I am sorry. But a good friendly agree to disagree and opinions are ok as long as not forced onto others. I was hoping for some names of different mufflers people tried or are running. As for the old motor to new motor sounds thats apples to oranges in my opinion. I`m just looking for FE related choices that have been used on older builds. Heres one my decently built 347 in one of my Mavs I used dynateck split flows 2.5,h-pipe and dumped at the rear sounded awesome to me but others didnt like it. So back to point any body use diff companies mufflers? Thanks Chris