Author Topic: the missing bolt, or was it?  (Read 3149 times)

rcodecj

• View Profile
the missing bolt, or was it?
« on: February 08, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »
I was working on the front springs and shocks the other day and lost one of the front shock bracket bolts, you know the 3 carriage bolts that slide into the top shock tower slot and hold the top shock bracket on. Anyway one  fell out and got lost. I looked and looked under the car at the suspension etc. I even backed the car up and swept the floor thinking I just wasn't seeing it. I then got the bright idea to have the wife come down to the shop and look for it, she always finds the ketchup in the frig when I swear there isn't any. Well, even she couldn't find it. So I ordered new ones, that usually makes the part reappear. It worked! I was sitting on a chair about 10 feet away and I spied something lying on the floor underneath the car. It was there in plain sight and I still don't know how I missed it, UNLESS, it was hanging onto the undercarriage or someplace on the car when I backed up and then fell down when I pulled it in. Anyway, the moral of the story is if you want to find your missing part or wrench just buy a new one. I figure I can always use these when I lose another one or on another project. Of course by the time I need them I won't be able to find them anymore. I hope you find my story amusing. Between not remembering where I put something or losing it for a while I have a heck of a time getting anything done anymore, but I just smile and think to myself it can wait it's only a hobby.

jmlay

• View Profile
Re: the missing bolt, or was it?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »
Yep, I live the same story. Too bad we can not harness that phenomenon & transform those broken drill bits into shiny new ones. 8)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:09:57 PM by jmlay »
Mike

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »
Im all to familiar with that situation ::).And i also use my wife
what is it with women and finding things.?? i can look for hours
for some thing and she find it in minutes and dont even know
what it looks like :o :o :o :o :o

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »
+1 to all!  My latest episode was I dropped and lost a nut for the solenoid on the Galaxie.. No dice in finding it (and my wife was not around)  I did have another one after scrounging thru my stuff and was able to finish the job.  Then, about 2 months later I saw it sitting on a frame rail while changing the P/S hoses.  ::)  sometimes it means just taking a break for a little while and looking at the subject again with "different eyes"  ;)
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

bobford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 01:10:08 AM »
 NAAAA I believe  there is a little gremlin  that lives in the corner of the garage that grabs the nuts ,bolts, tools  that you just had right there in front of you,and holds on to them for a couple minutes,hours ,days till he git s tired of screwing with you.
 Then he puts them right back in front of you so he can laugh at you!
 I've been fighting ,chasing that SOB for last 50+ years  ,he or his cousins have followed  me  through through the last 4 garages!
 That my opinion and I'm stickin with it.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »
About a zillion years ago I was wrenching with John Corrunker. First on his Thunderbolt that was then taken over by his brother Rick. And then when the '68 CJ Mustangs were announced, we got the one---SS/EA---that went to Romy Hammes Ford in South Bend.

To help pay the bills we did some garage stuff. We took in a job installing some basic bolt-ons and I was installing headers. The car was up on jackstands and I'd been leaning over the fenders for what seemed to be several days---or at least several hours. Since it'd been about 10 PM when I started the job---well you can imagine the problem when I lost a contact lens. I heard it 'tick' off something low in the engine compartment. I looked until about 3 AM but had no luck. And it didn't help that I could only see on one side.

I quit and came back the next morning. Stood there looking down past the engine. Saw a little hole in the box-section frame. Took a pencil and dabbed grease on the eraser end and dropped it through the hole. Pulled it back up and VOILA---lens stuck in the grease.

Happy ending!!!

KS