Author Topic: 4 spd & bell behind my 447  (Read 4182 times)

Lenz

• View Profile
4 spd & bell behind my 447
« on: January 24, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
Talked with Barry at Survival today and pulled the trigger on a .040" over stroker kit for my 390.  I figure to be around the 500/525 mark on HP and TQ.  I don't see any violent abuse in my Galaxie's future but I do like to put me some fun.  Street duty is the purpose behind the car.

I'm running what David Kee refers to as a top loader "impostor", a 3 spd w/overdrive from '77 or '78.  Will a properly gone over trans of this type hold up in my application?  I've seen conflicting input so I thought I'd draw on experience.

I also read that there are slightly different bell housing lengths between car and truck units.  The advice was to be sure to run the slightly shorter car unit.  Is this true, true for top loaders only or do I just need to run a certain pilot bushing to compensate?

Input appreciated-
Len

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:56:21 AM by Lenz »
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

Lenz

• View Profile
Re: 4 spd & bell behind my 447
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:07:59 PM »
Sometimes no reply is as informative as a lot of replies.  It reinforces the fact that I need to get rid of my junk and load up on the real deal.  I guess I already knew that, and I'm also sure no one in this forum would support rebuilding or using an inferior piece.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »
Not always true... It hasn't been 24 hrs since the post. I'm sure someone will chime in and help you out. I don't know much about them...
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:06:23 PM »
Sometimes no reply is as informative as a lot of replies. 
As stated above be careful with that. This is a much slower moving (in a good way) forum than most.
I'm curious what the guys will say also.
Though not the same situation I identify with your trans dilemma as I drive an F 100 every day with a granny low so it is essentially a three speed.
Though not for my application I've always been curious about that particular trans.
My fix for highway gearing will be a Gearvendors overdrive.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Joe-jdc

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 04:31:27 PM »
I ordered a '78 F-150 with towing package and that 4 speed overdrive toploader.  I towed a 6400# travel trailer all over the USA, put 100K+ on the transmission.  Had to rebuild it once with small parts kit.  The dealer would only sell it to me if I promised not to tow in OD.  I rebuilt the engine with 408 CI, Comp Cam H268, ported the heads and installed threaded rocker studs, adjustable rocker arms, guide plates, ported a Street Dominator 400, 780 Holley vacuum secondary carb, headers and dual exhausts.  My sons beat the snot out of that truck their senior years in high school, and the transmission took all the abuse of their jackrabbit starts.  It has a wide ratio, deep first gear, and 1:1 in third.  Gas mileage is not significantly increased because of the wide spread in gears.  Personally, I would use it if I already had it, but I would certainly plan of buying a big input/big output wide ratio top loader, or a TKO for the long haul.  JMO, but I drove the pickup for 14 years and if the truck had been a supercab, I would still have it.  Joe-JDC.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 09:16:33 PM »
I m sure it will live with street tire s , i don t think you would hurt it ... But the smarter move is a top loader or a tremec , and a scatter shield . I sold all my 4- speeds and bought a tremec  T K O  and no regrets , love the 5 speed .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

Ratbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 11:50:18 PM »
I'd ask David Keys. They are real good about getting back to people and probably know a lot about these transmissions.

Dave J
1959 T-bird - rat kind of a thing
FE 410ci bored .030 over, 4 sp toploader
pure fun

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 12:01:35 AM »
Is this a small block tranny? If so the input shaft is too long and needs trimming. This trans should live a while on the street with decent driving but won't like power shifting or missed gears on the track, jmho. Also I believe the truck bell is longer and allows for an 11 1/2 clutch vs 11 for car. You would also need the correct clutch fork for each bell housing.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 01:30:37 AM »
Thanks for the feedback all, and for the reminder that this forum can and does move a little slower sometimes (as stated, good thing).  I signed on about a year ago because of the approach of the members.

My curiosity about the trans I've got started this along with my desire not to dump another grand plus into something I don't have to have right now as my focus is on the build.  I'm having trouble tracing the trans to it's original application, I only know it's late 70's and the previous owner can't help.  I don't have it apart yet so input shaft length is unknown also, I was not aware that this could be an issue.  Clearly something I can evaluate though, along with bell housing length.  I'll need to get the specs for comparison to see what I've got.

From all of the input below I have to believe it'll hold up for awhile if I don't hammer too hard on it and have correct compatible pieces.  Right now the main concern is that when I peddle the car at about 3,000 RPM in high I get a buzz, that's the reason for my bell question.  I think the trans itself is OK but that component matching by the builder was poorly done.  I appreciate being armed with the info.

When the budget allows I'm upgrading, but for now I'll make this work (or come home on the hook).  Count on a few more questions down the road.- Len

Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick