Author Topic: January 23, 2011 - The Road to Drag Week 2011  (Read 3244 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
January 23, 2011 - The Road to Drag Week 2011
« on: March 18, 2011, 07:49:05 PM »
As expected I made very little progress this week on the Shelby clone, spending my spare time on building my web site (which went live this week). However, on Friday afternoon I got a call from Napa saying that they had my rack in stock. On Saturday I drove down to the store and sure enough, there it was. I had been a little concerned that the rack would not have the same steering u-joint attachment that the power rack had, which would have left me in need of a new U-joint, but sure enough it looked the same. Buying a new rack from Napa was expensive, but worth it to me because I just didn't like the extra tubing required for the power rack, even if I was going to run it manually.

Back at home, I took the time to pull the power rack out of the chassis, and swap the u-joint onto the new rack, just to be sure. Then I looked at the passenger side bushing that would allow the manual rack to fit into the brackets on the K member. I shouldn't have been surprised; it wasn't even close. I don't know what Fatman sent me first time around, but it sure wasn't a manual steering rack bushing. I guess I will have to fabricate the required bushing myself.

I expect that next week I will be just as busy on the web site and book stuff as this week, so again I don't expect to make much progress on the car. Hopefully things will get back to normal in February, and I can start making some progress again.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC