Author Topic: Top Loader Swap  (Read 460 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

64custom

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Top Loader Swap
« on: September 23, 2026, 08:27:04 AM »
I have a Toploader 4 speed out of a 1969 mustang 390 4v car. I purchased it for my ‘64 custom 500 to do a manual swap. I didn’t realize I needed a longer tail shaft. So up for sale is a Toploader with the data tag reading RUG-AD1 with close ratio, 28 spline. I am in need of a toploader with a longer tail shaft (27”) ideally with an HEH-D tag. Any other help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike_Senar

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Top Loader Swap
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2026, 10:27:40 PM »
Hello from San Diego,
 Am I reading you correctly that you need a narrow case (front bolt pattern) unit for your car, and you have a wide pattern (front bolt pattern) case transmission?  I have some of those (narrow ones), but not 109% sure of your tail housing need.  I have a lot of these parts!!  Answer me about my question and I will research your need after that and verify  IF  I have the needed parts to assemble one I will let you know.
                                   Mike

FE4ME

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
Re: Top Loader Swap
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2026, 11:37:36 PM »
I have a Toploader 4 speed out of a 1969 mustang 390 4v car. I purchased it for my ‘64 custom 500 to do a manual swap. I didn’t realize I needed a longer tail shaft. So up for sale is a Toploader with the data tag reading RUG-AD1 with close ratio, 28 spline. I am in need of a toploader with a longer tail shaft (27”) ideally with an HEH-D tag. Any other help or suggestions would be appreciated.

64Custom, I got your private message,  and sent you a reply regarding my Galaxie Toploader

428kidd

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 549
    • View Profile
Re: Top Loader Swap
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2026, 07:09:52 AM »
i Have a Heh H trans and a 64 tail housing if needed.

XR7

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Top Loader Swap
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2026, 10:38:35 AM »
For a Galaxie, it is not only a long tail-housing, it is a specific output shaft and housing. The galaxie also has the shifter in a different location, and also the speedo gear is on the opposite side, and uses a specific gear that is (backwards rotation) compared to most others. The tail-housing is easily identifiable... has a weird dip or valley in the top up toward the main case. If you do some research you will see what I mean. David Kee's Toploader website has a ton of info that will help you. You can convert your toploader easy enough, by buying the correct output shaft and tail-housing... and swap it over.