Author Topic: PS saga comes to an end  (Read 2105 times)

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
PS saga comes to an end
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »
 attended the FE Reunion in May. My day of fun was cut short by losing my power steering belt in the burnout box on the third pass. I went back to the pits and tried renditioning it etc. Everytime I revved the engine the belt would fly off. Some forum members even tried to help and offer moral support. It wouldn't have been big deal but I also have hydroboost brakes. I decided someone was telling me something and parked it in the show area. When I got home I took a close look and decided the pump had to much end play and the pulley was wobbly. I tried locating a rebuilt pump locally which turned out to be a 2 month project no one could deliver one. Finally I located one on EBay. In the mean time I ordered a billet pulley and a billet housing from CVF Racing. It looked like a nice product. I assembled the parts and installed on my Mach 1. Immediately the pump whined and the hydro boost squealed when I depressed the brake pedal. My immediate reaction the pump was bad! I have had this problem before. I called the seller and he suggested sending it back and he would send it to his supplier for evaluation. He also suggested if I didn't want to wait I should order another one and he would credit me for the first one after it was evaluated. Sounded reasonable instead of waiting a possible few weeks more. The replacement $70.00 pump arrived I swapped the pulley and case to the new one installed it and filled with fluid. I started it and it was quieter but still noisy. WTF???I took it for a ride and as it got hotter it got louder, then the brakes started dragging and the steering got erratic. I parked it and had a few beers called it a day. Sunday I went out and put the sloppy end play pump back in. Guess what problem solved 2 bad pumps right? Being the anal person that I am, I took the bad end play pump back out and removed the stock sheet metal cover and installed the billet cover. Perfectly quiet unbelievable 2 bad pumps just my luck. I then put the fill cap on. I took a ride and made it to the end of the block and it started squealing, brakes dragging etc. WTF? I pulled over opened the hood and removed the fill cap, the fluid boiled all over the engine compartment with nice foamy red crap everywhere. I left the cap off and drove home and it was perfectly silent. I removed the fill tube from the canister and put the fill cap on it, guess what its not freaken vented!!!! I emailed them and they assured me they sold many of them with no problem. NOWAY!!!! the design is bad!!!!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: PS saga comes to an end
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »
What a PITA, but at least you got it fixed.  Seems like so many companies offer products that they don't even test for proper operation...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC