Author Topic: Transmission vent on Tremec  (Read 7014 times)

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
Transmission vent on Tremec
« on: September 12, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »
Guys,
   Have any of you with a Tremec TKO used a elbow and small filter for the top oil fill plug on a Tremec. The reason I'm asking is that on my application with the 57 Fairlane my transmission vent is right up against the transmission tunnel of my car. I've noticed oil seeping from between the bell housing and transmission like a seal is leaking around the output shaft and I just wondered after turning 5000 rpm on the race track if I may be building up pressure inside the transmission and forcing oil out. This Amsoil transmission fluid I'm using produces a quieter transmission but I wondered about heat and pressure. I've never seen this oil drip before when using GM Syncromesh transmission fluid. If it is a vent problem I thought a elbow and filter may cure my problem. ANYONE BEEN THERE BEFORE. Thanks, Jim  PS. Transmission has about 50K miles on it now.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Transmission vent on Tremec
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »
Bob Maag

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »
I think I'll go back to GM Syncromesh 12345349 and see what happens. Thanks.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »
I've noticed oil seeping from between the bell housing and transmission like a seal is leaking around the output shaft

Between the bell and transmission? Could be the bearing retainer seal. 

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:38:45 PM »
I looked up the Tremec Website and they now suggest Dextron III/Mercon. I had plenty of that so I went out to the hanger, drained the Amsoil out and installed the Dextron III/Mercon ATF. I'll see what happens. As a side note, I don't think I lost very much fluid. It just looks like a lot on the floor.
 If that doesn't do it I'll probably pull it this winter and check the front end. I plan on taking it easy on the car the rest of the year anyway. Jim  PS  The corvette website had good information. Thanks guys.