Author Topic: use or lose?  (Read 369 times)

djburton

• View Profile
use or lose?
« on: June 30, 2024, 07:40:06 AM »
I was gifted this cam.  There is a small divot on one lobe,not directly on the nose but close. Builder said buy another cam,claims factory defect out of the box. Yeah...not convinced but anyway,go or no go?   Thanks!

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: use or lose?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 08:29:57 AM »
There is a chance it could be on the good side of the offset, and the lifter might travel over it, but equally, and more likely, it could smack the edge on assembly or break in and stall the lifter from turning.  I wouldn't. 

It's an inexpensive grind and although the 270H runs pretty well in a 390, there are better cams out there as well
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 08:31:44 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

djburton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 07:17:52 AM »
The defect is on the front of the third lobe from the back of the cam. From my crude measurement of a block it looks like the offset would put the defect in front of the lifter and only possibly be in play as the valve was closing. This is a low budget deal and I'm inclined to roll the dice but not wild about doing it over either...but it was free!!

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 08:53:55 AM »
If you are going to run it, see if you can ease/smooth the sharp edge of the divot.
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

gregb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2024, 09:25:11 AM »
For the amount of work involved and the possible damage that could occur I wouldn't risk it......

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2024, 11:22:14 AM »
     For the record that "divot" is on what generally proves to be the unloaded side edge, but given time the load pattern does move outward across the lobe face, so .............

If one were "fishing" for what camshaft might be best, I wouldn't hesitate to put that one into service, if only to experience the behavioral effects, deciding were to go in camming choices, aka. a testing tool!  And it probably would work fine if left in for the duration as I do really doubt it would cause any problem as by the time the lifter due to wear elsewhere on the lobe face actually got to that discrepancy the lifter would be supported by the far greater surface interaction presented across the remaining lobe face.   :)

It just ain't pretty, hurts your feelings, but it really probably doesn't make a difference in the operation of the engine; but if you can't accept that perspective..............just toss it!   ;D

As far as for the recommendation from the "Builder", what would you expect, if being contracted, why would anybody go out on a limb with their name just to save the client what amounts to in the engine build's entirety a minimal investment, and provide the opportunity to eliminate a "possible" issue down the road?  This especially today, in this era where "the customer is always right" and won't hesitate to bash anyone, at any moment that the opportunity is presented, particularly if monetary gain is at hand, right or wrong!   ::)

Scott.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 11:34:47 AM by pbf777 »

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2024, 03:03:23 PM »
To get a new version of that cam it will cost you about $300.

Considering all the potential negatives that can come from using that cam, I just don't see enough positives to make the effort worthwhile.