Author Topic: base timing  (Read 232 times)

fiveseven

• View Profile
base timing
« on: June 30, 2024, 01:35:03 AM »
Hi I replaced my OE dist for a Pertronix ignitor 3 with a firestarter 3, Pertronix recommends you either replace the pink resistor wire from ign switch or use their relay which is just a relay connected to POS coil. I couldnt find pink wire so went with relay. The coil needs 12 volts, that I tapped from the wiper motor. The problem is no spark so I hooked up the OE wire that goes to +. The 390 runs fine @ 18* Has anyone had this situation before .  . Car is a 1966 galaxie . Total timing is 32*

1964Fastback

• View Profile
Re: base timing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 06:59:27 AM »
I have a stock distributor, coil and resistor wire but an Ignitor I module.  I use a general purpose relay I bought at Auto Zone.  It's mounted up front by the voltage regulator, and driven by the wire that used to go to the + terminal on the coil.  It gets 12 volts from the BAT terminal of the voltage regulator.  This works fine for me and the original wire to the coil seemed like the logical one to drive the relay.

On the wiper motor wire, does it get power when the wipers aren't on?  Even if it does, I bet that it does not get power when the key is in the start position.  Most all accessories don't get power in start, to give as much power as possible to the starter motor and ignition.

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

fiveseven

• View Profile
Re: base timing
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2024, 01:32:34 PM »
I had a heck of a time figuring what was going on Why it would run rough when it got Op/TP . With the wire from the relay and the OE wire hooked up it runs great even when warm. It gets 13. volts at coil.I saw a couple of videos of people that got the volts from accessories.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 01:35:43 PM by fiveseven »