Author Topic: Strange New Vibration after changing a diff..?  (Read 792 times)

JacksFordParts

• View Profile
Strange New Vibration after changing a diff..?
« on: April 12, 2024, 12:08:36 AM »
This has me a bit perplexed... I just changed the 8" diff in my 68 cougar from a 3.00 to a brand new, built by a local professional, 3.55. Nothing else changed, but now there's a driveline vibration that wasn't there before.  It seems most noticeable at higher speeds, above 75 and under deceleration. Looking for any insights other than what's been bouncing around my brain...

Nothing else has been changed
Driveshaft has balancing washers on it
I flipped the driveshaft 180 just to make sure
No u joint caps came off
The diff is nice and quiet, I don't believe there's anything wrong with it

I did notice that the Driveshaft might be a bit long. It's appears to be an aftermarket custom one, but when unbolting it from the diff yoke, it doesn't slide forward enough to even clear the yoke all the way. But it did not have this vibration with the 3.00 diff...

Im thinking u joint or the driveshaft being too long...?

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Strange New Vibration after changing a diff..?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 06:31:17 AM »
Any play in the pinion? Does the yoke have cap locating tabs or need u-joint clips?

If the only thing changed is the center section, I'd be hard pressed to blame the driveshaft

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 07:31:24 AM »
The case and/or the gasket could be just a tad thicker and pushed the yoke out a bit.
That could also add to a vibration.
That pushes the wheels out at the front and in at the back.
Does not take much to put a vibration in at high speed.

70tp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 10:42:41 AM »
There are different pinion yoke lengths.   Is it the same as before?   Put it on jackstands
And in neutral and rotate drive shaft to see if there is any runout on the tube?

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 12:04:33 PM »
I went through a very frustrating drivline vibration diagnosis not that long ago.....You really need to check everything, and check it carefully and with great detail.

I was working on a VERY highly restored vehicle that paid exceptional attention to every detail concerning correct parts and markings and so on....and it all really did appear perfect.

As the job progressed here is what I found, in steps, after finding and fixing each items along the way to eliminate parts as the process played out.

The driveshaft tube was slightly oval shape, more at one end than the other....no signs of ever being hit or damaged. This was a bad tube from the get go and nobody noticed....it was out of round enough to see with the naked eye.

The rear driveshaft yolk was welded on out of round and this was not the oval side of the tube.

The drivesahft was not properly balanced....It had a HUGE amount of weights welded in place, on both ends. This alone should have given the driveshaft maker, or balancer, a major clue that something was not right.

You might be surprised to find how many "good" shops don't really have a good balancing machine, or they have one that is out of calibration, or they have an operator who does not really know what they are doing beyond the basic movements.
Talk with the person who will do the balancing to get a feel for their level of understanding.

Side note: I once dealt with a big driveline shop (in Utah) that told me their balancing machine was so sensitive that if they balanced the shaft, took it off the machine and put it back on the machine, the driveshaft would be out of balance...........I was broken down on the road, far from home, and stuck with this shop. The shaft they built was shit by the way, but it got me home.

The slip yolk was an old piece that was refurbed, but it had taken a hit at some point and was no longer true.

The rear driveshaft yolk was new, and....wait for it.......crap out of the box. Who ever heard of that happening in this day?....Oh yeah, pretty much everyone who works on vehicles because so much is crap out of the box today.

The differential yolk was worn (actually ground by someone) by a large number, like 0.040" or so, between the two cap retaining humps. This allowed the U-joint to move back and forth enough that it may, or may not, be placed in the proper postion.

The reason for the big gap on the rear differential yolk came at the hands of someone trying to fix a non-issue they did not understand. This particular car used a rear U-joint with different sized caps and someone installed a U-joint using big caps on both ends rather than big on the driveshaft and smaller on the differential yolk.....so they ground things to fit instead of sourcing the proper U-joint......But hey! it has the correct paint marks so it was right.

The front U-joint, new parts from auto parts store, was out of round out of the box....but installed anyway. This one I can forgive because we should be able to expect a good U-joint when purchased new....but we can't anymore.
I specifically use Spicer U-joints because they have proven to be better, but they are not perfect so verify them too.
Precision brand U-joints stink a lot and was the part found to be faulty in this instance.

All of these items gave rise to a vibration that was difficult to find and even more difficult to diagnose due to so many items being wrong at once.

Check everything and do NOT assume any parts are correct until they have been verified correct.

JacksFordParts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 02:29:56 PM »
Yoke depth is the same, first thing i checked
Yoke has locating tabs on it

I cant visually see any damage, repairs or modifications anywhere.

I will start with trans yoke/driveshaft and work back from there, much easier than pulling the diff again.

Thanks Fellas

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 03:18:44 PM »
................. just changed the 8" diff in my 68 cougar from a 3.00 to a brand new, built by a local professional, 3.55. Nothing else changed, but now there's a driveline vibration that wasn't there before.

This scenario is not uncommon, as the demon is the fact that the drive-shaft is now spinning faster, this at any comparable road speed than as before, and the inevitable remaining imbalance in the shaft gains a value sum that becomes now noticeably felt.   :)

Scott.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 04:18:29 PM »
first thing I'd do is rotate the drive shaft 180* on the rear yoke. If you want to check the DS balance you can put a hose clamp around the drive shaft and rotate it 45* at a time and see if it changes things. try it at the rear joint and if no joy, try the front joint.  As Scott said, you're spining the shaft faster and harmonics are a bitch.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

JacksFordParts

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 11:37:05 PM »
I noted rotating the driveshaft 180 in the original post....

I'm going to have it checked at the local driveshaft shop

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 09:56:05 AM »
Nothing else was changed, so this may not be it...
...but are the u-joint angles ok?
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2024, 10:39:15 AM »
The oil was changed.
Also the bearings were pulled out of their holes.
The bearings are new?
The bearings are 30 years old?
The bearings are from the 60's?
When ever I pull an old bearing I always think, it's not going to like me molesting it. ::)

JacksFordParts

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2024, 10:47:00 PM »
Took the driveshaft to my local driveline guy. He rebalanced and straightened the driveshaft, had a small amount of runout. That fixed the vibration

So glad there are still some guys like him around, we're screwed when they are all gone..