Author Topic: Home and Auto Insurance  (Read 1151 times)

Thumperbird

• View Profile
Home and Auto Insurance
« on: April 01, 2024, 07:40:28 AM »
Hey all,

My home and auto insurance premiums, mostly home, have gone through the roof (no pun intended) the last 2 years.
I am in the Midwest, does anyone have any recommendations on a decent insurance provider?
I don't need premium coverage, I don't make claims for every little thing, just generally good reputation at a good price?
My homeowners has doubled in 3 years, no claims, anyone else seeing that?

Thanks.

hwoods

• View Profile
Re: Home and Auto Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 09:22:39 AM »
Farmers or Travelers thru AMAC

for me State Farm up almost $100/month.  Travelers about $100/month cheaper

House and 3 cars  Montgomery/Conroe/The Woodlands TX area
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 10:20:19 AM »
We use Hippo which was cheaper than any of the larger names operating in Texas.  But yea - rates are up all over and with the prediction of a very active Atlantic hurricane season, it may get even worse.  Especially for states that border the Gulf.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 10:58:30 AM »
Mine was $200 a month for years with Liberty Mutual and went up to $400 a month last year and received notice it will increase again.
I can't afford it so have canceled. Never filed a claim so guess I will self insure.
Greg

mike7570

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 11:44:05 AM »
Thumperbird, are you in California? My home owners and car insurance has topped $9,000 early. We are the lucky ones as some of my neighbors have ballooned to $15,000-$20,000. Yikes!       (most of that is fire insurance, if you live anywhere except the big cities your in a high fire zone)
We’re looking at making a move out the state.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 06:40:44 PM by mike7570 »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 10:06:21 AM »
We're in Texas and it's above $1500/year I think - Covered in escrow so I never really look at it much.  May be closer to $2K now.  It goes up a bunch every year.  We switched from GEICO for cheaper, even though we carry everything else though GEICO.  No way in hell I'd ever self-insure. Minimal replacement cost for house, shop trailers easily exceeds $350K. The last roof covered by insurance was over $10K, and they only did the house (1600 sq/ft).

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 11:26:25 AM »
I don't follow home or insurance pricing so this is just my redneck observation. In 1998 my wife and I had our house built in SE Pennsylvania for $158,000. 1-1/2 acre, 2500 sq/ft, 2 car attached garage, well and sand mound. These days they say it's valued at $445,000 and taxes to match. So I'm sure the increase of insurance is to match the current value? That said, our local authorities are those who reassessed the value. Why do they increase? To get more tax money from me. So they raise the taxes and insurance raises their premiums. Should I sell my house then I will pay capital gains. I'd be happy if my house was still considered a $158,000 house.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 11:29:12 AM »
My auto/home insurance went up a couple of years ago nearly double.  I started checking around, with no tickets, no claims on auto or home, and I got a huge surprise for the cause.  When I turned 75, rates changed.  Automatically.  Not something they will tell you, but it is there nonetheless.  Nothing I can do to change it but get rid of vehicles or downgrade the coverage.  To me this is discrimination, but I understand many folks at 75+ are not good risks.  I am still healthy and consider myself an excellent driver, but they have their guidelines to follow.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 07:07:22 AM »
Thanks all.  I don't think you pay capital gains on sale of primary home, at least not federal up to a certain $'s, especially if you can show cost of all improvements etc., to write it down.
Yes, part of my increase is certainly caused by replacement cost coverage, replacement cost jumped the last 2 years, that $ value is way higher than my tax or even street value.
AAA and Progressive/Homestead quotes might be competitive but one does not read good things about Homestead homeowners and not sure of these providers in general. 

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 11:05:39 AM »
Ive been pretty happy with Progressive on a couple modern vehicles. Just last month I needed to add insurance on my 74 F100, got a quote though Hagerty. I'm now insuring 3 classic trucks for the price of just 1 with Progressive prior with only liability. Ive heard good things with Hagerty so I guess we will see.

Commercial insurance is a whole nother ball game.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 02:03:33 PM »
Some of those prices are crazy. I’m in crooked NY and my car insurance is 200 a month and home owners is 1500 or so. Mike 7570 get the hell out of California and you could build an extra race car.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 01:24:51 PM »
SC here.  Close to a $700k property, I'm around $1400/yr in home owners insurance and about $1200/yr for auto across 4 vehicles with a $1.5M umbrella and $500k stacked underinsured. The underinsured part is the most costly portion, since most dingbats around here drive around drunk and meth'd out with state minimum insurance on the wrong side of the road.  That's the biggest disadvantage to living in this state, but it sure beats the taxes I was paying back up in New England...

State Farm has been very good to us.  I dropped Allstate 7 years ago after they pulled some really nasty stunts, and those crooks continued drafting from the wrong account even after I cancelled all policies, so avoid them like the plague.

driveamerican

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2024, 12:42:54 AM »
Here in California all the insurance companies refuse to write new policies my kids insurance on his 2019 Camaro as is dam near what the payment is with a clean record. I will keep my opinion of what is going on to myself.