Author Topic: Turning Solid Drag Rotors?  (Read 1652 times)

JacksFordParts

• View Profile
Turning Solid Drag Rotors?
« on: March 29, 2024, 12:22:41 AM »
The rotors on my 67 drag car are warped, does anyone have any experience, not opinion, on turning them? Or should they just be replaced?

They are solid, drilled Aerospace Components rotors.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
Re: Turning Solid Drag Rotors?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 03:15:28 AM »
That depends on who is turning them and what machine is being used.
They are most likely hard so you will need to turn slow and if you use a single point tool
you may get some chatter. A rubber band around the disc helps a lot.
I've turned bike discs which are thin and hard and take a long time so there is no money in it. ::)
But if you have the lathe that is capable no problem.
I have a 15-50 10 HP chomper.

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 07:29:23 AM »
The problem is thickness, if there already at minimal thickness and there cut down again they will warp again faster than the last time. I would try to find a manufactures minimal thickness spec before turning them down. 

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 08:04:32 AM »
My buddy with the pulling truck brought over some wheel centers for me to trim, as they were about 1/8" too big for the new wider wheels he had. Another friend who was a whiz on the lathe had cut them out for him out of the scrap pile when they both worked at Mare Island. So I chuck one up on my 16x60 South Bend, with a new carbide cutter thinking no problem  ::) SCREEEEEE! and create a long wire and much smoke  ??? Slowed it down, same thing, cutting a wire with much smoke and noise, very slow progress. Used up 4 carbides getting it done, and I asked him WTH is that stuff??? He says it's Ducol steel- which had many uses, including WWII battleship armour. Mare Island scrap pile indeed  :o

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 12:07:49 PM »
JMO but if it’s pulsating now you making it thinner is just a temporary band aid. The rotors are made with a hard material and the pads compressing them and the heat makes it almost impossible. Even with a band and a new bit at the perfect speed chatter is most likely going to happen. Are new rotors not obtainable any more or are they ridiculously expensive? I’m only speaking for myself I don’t have a lot of money so when I get something which is normally more than I can spend I usually weight out all options. Most of the time doing it the right way the first time is the cheapest in the long run.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 01:59:21 PM »
AMy experience is limited, but I have NEVER seen it work as a long term fix. Warpage seems to come back soon.

KS

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 03:18:50 PM »
Yeah, I wondered about that too. Seems metal does have a memory down into the grain structure. Still, for a drag only car, it may add a 'free' season or so of running. I'd check them closely though each weekend.
Bob Maag

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 06:11:45 PM »
I looked them up.
They are ground from the factory. 5/16"
But you could still skim them.
You can buy new for 155 each.
So ya I would put some effort in to keeping them in service for more passes.
Interrupted cut so the tool will have to take some hammering. That's always entertaining.
You could always mill them if you have a mill. Lots more setup but always a better finish.

JacksFordParts

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 06:23:24 PM »
Thanks Fellas, I know it will be a band but it's worth a shot as I have plans to change the front end on the car. So if it gets me a few weekends of fun this summer, that's all I want. I'll take my time and plan on buying my buddy some new bits after I destroy his... Ha

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 07:43:39 PM »
Might find somebody with a grinder.
Racer I knew may years ago had stuff Blanchard ground somewhere here in Detroit - I've long since lost the info...

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2024, 11:06:00 AM »
When I started racing my Mach 1 several years ago, it brought to light some issues with my ability to stop at high speeds. The front rotors had some warping that affected braking to a rather large degree. The warping wasn't bad enough to shake the car, but you could feel it. Stock rotors, stock disc brake set-up. I had my stock rotors turned and that made a HUGE impact on stopping ability. Braking was much smoother and stopping distance was cut pretty dramatically. That was about 8 years ago, same rotors and pads, 2 Drag Weeks, a few FE R&R events, several thousand street miles, and everything is still working great. I'd give them a turn.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2024, 08:07:07 PM »
Barry beat me to it, a Blanchard Grinder is the way to go.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2024, 09:17:13 AM »
You might also want to take a close look at the rotors for cementite formations.  They are very localized heat spots on the rotor and give the feeling of a warped rotor since the cementite is very hard and abrasive and makes the braking feel like it's being pulsed.  It's very hard to machine away cementite and that could change your solution pathways.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2024, 10:36:25 AM »
       First, one must decide if there is enough remaining material for reasonably proper function.  Most of the "steel" drag brake rotors do not present adequate material thickness to permit anything more than a deglazing or a very minor cleanup cut.  Remember, that automotive braking systems of this nature are designed around friction and heat production, and it is the responsibility of the rotor (disc brakes) to absorb this heat as produced, functioning as a heat-sink initially, before dispelling it into the atmosphere; and if your already overheating the disc now, this causing the resultant warpage, then how well do you think they're going to work after the removal of any significant sum of material?   :-\

I my opinion grinding is the best way of servicing the rotor, and I have cut them previously utilizing our flywheel grinder, this which is designed for just such types of items, and is the equipment I would advise in the attempt for a reasonably proper outcome.   ;)

As far as for the localized hardness formations, yes is a concern, and this will be very apparent upon the cutting process (even more so particularly if utilizing a lathe and cutting tool) and if excessive the subject part should be discarded, as not only will the coefficient of friction and effectiveness in the act of braking function be affected, but also significant ductility in the metal is lost and this could lead to a catastrophic failure!   :o

Scott.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 06:35:41 PM »
Just a general observation. The OP specified that he was concerned with SOLID rotors. They have minimal thickness and much less of the sort of rigidity that is provided by vented, internally-stiffened-by-vanes rotors such as some of you are referencing.

i have used both types, over the years, and I believe that solid rotors with problems should simply be thrown out and replaced. You'll never be lonng-term satisfied with an attempt to band-aid your problem.

KS